• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA pilot surplus...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 80% rule is a combo of ASA/Skywest, not just Skywest.

The 80% rule applies to future flying up for bid, not current flying, which is locked for 15 years.

For example if Delta puts new flying up for bid that cuts into 80% that flying will go to ASA/Skywest as long as they are the 2nd lowest bidder or better.

Delta, in its sole discretion, shall establish and publish all schedules for the Aircraft, including city-pairs served, frequencies, and timing of scheduled departures. Where practical, Delta will collaborate with ASA to determine mutually optimal schedules. ASA shall operate the Aircraft in the city pairs designated by Delta, subject to the frequency, scheduling and other requirements established by Delta from time to time. In addition, it is agreed and understood that Delta may utilize and schedule any of the Aircraft to perform various charter operations on behalf of Delta as can be reasonably accommodated by ASA. Notwithstanding the above, but subject to reduction as provided elsewhere in this Agreement, Delta covenants and agrees that during each year of the “Term” (as defined in Article 11 hereof), (i) ASA shall be scheduled to operate not less than [***] of all Delta Connection Program departures scheduled at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (“Hartsfield”) and (ii) [***] ((i) and (ii) above, collectively, the “ATL Departure Percentages.”)

It has nothing to do with future growth.

I think that BH has brought over the same deal from SkyWest. They don't like to furlough. It's not good for anyone.

It's not good for guys that like to fly alot. We have guys at Skywest that are bitching we need to furlough so they can fly their usual 100 hrs a month. With the excess pilots the average pilot gets only 80 hrs now. Some of the senior guys are complaining it's equivalent to taking a paycut because of it.

Must be nice to be senior enough to wish your fellow pilots out of a job just so you can make more money.

Must be nice to be senior enough to wish your fellow pilots out of a job just so you can make more money.

I think it's funny how some of these same guys talked about pilot unity during the ALPA drive here but now they're quick to toss aside their fellow pilots when it effects their pockets. But this is everywhere; in every airline you'll have pilots like this, union or non-union. Everyone talks tough but in the end it's about ourselves, right?

Last edited:
It's not good for guys that like to fly alot. We have guys at Skywest that are bitching we need to furlough so they can fly their usual 100 hrs a month. With the excess pilots the average pilot gets only 80 hrs now. Some of the senior guys are complaining it's equivalent to taking a paycut because of it.

I am at a loss for words... WTF is wrong with people?

The 80% rule is a combo of ASA/Skywest, not just Skywest.

The 80% rule applies to future flying up for bid, not current flying, which is locked for 15 years.

For example if Delta puts new flying up for bid that cuts into 80% that flying will go to ASA/Skywest as long as they are the 2nd lowest bidder or better.

No, not future flying and if we don't stay the 2nd cheapest it goes out the window. I don't know if its ASA or ASA/Skywest. Bottom line is since our metrics are off we stand to face no or negative growth. Oh well... :crying:

I hate to say it but I heard a few senior captains make the same statement the other day while I was sitting RR at ASA.

Latest resources

Back