ASA Picketing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Newmann55,

Because they set a precedent in the small jet industry for 70 seat jets to be flown at 50 seat rates. Now every airline that has 50 and 70 seat jets will think that their pilots should fly them for the same rate. So now those carriers with crappy 50 seat rates want their pilots to fly their 70 seat jets for the same crappy rate. When they do that, SKYW will think they should match the lower crappy rates and the viscous cycle continues. In the end this just causes the average pay for pilots in the small jet industry to go lower and lower. If we were making around $200/hr flying wide-bodies the difference in size doesn't matter much. It skews the data to compare us to pilots at mainline carriers that are making $150+/hr. Pilots at small jet airlines don't need any downward pressure on their pay. Most pilots already qualify for government food assistance if they have kids so we don't need stufff like the SKYW rates putting pressure on already poverty level wages.

sweptback said:
SkyWest management has not even met with our MEC, let alone done a meet and greet with our pilot group or for that matter the company as a whole.

As fond as this place is of Chief Pilot forums and other meetings (*bagels provided), I am really surprised that by now there hasn't been a token SkyWest management presence/introduction in the crew room.

Why? When Delta bought us in 1999, Delta did not come and give us any hoo-rah speech! What's the difference? Wholly owned subsidiary then, wholly owned subsidiary now.

Newman55 said:
One question why does everyone harp on this so much? First of all America West pays the same regargless if the A/C is a 737 Airbus or 757. Why arent you all complaining about that? CAL pays the same rate for 767 or 777 and for a 737-800 or 757 series. Jet blues EMB-190 top rate is less than skywests 50 seat rate. Granted Jet blue tops out at 12 years and it looks like skywest tops out at 18 years. The max pay on a CRJ 50 at ASA is $82/hr. Max pay on a CRJ 70 at ASA is $103. If you take the average that is $92.50/hr. Looks to me like skywest tops out at $93/hr on the 50 seat plane. Airtran pays the same rate for a 717 or a 737. A 777 has quite a few more seats than a 767 however why is there no outcry that CAL has no differential pay. I am really just curious since I am new to this type of stuff. I have been lurking for a while and have seen this harped on time and time again. I did some research on airlinepilotpay.com so the numbers may be off some. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. My question is why is everyone screaming about skywest flying an RJ that only has 16 more seats for the same pay as the 50 seat? It also appears their 50 seat rate is more than some of the other airlines 70 seat rates. Someone please enlighten me.

Well said Newman.

Newman55 said:
One question why does everyone harp on this so much? First of all America West pays the same regargless if the A/C is a 737 Airbus or 757. Why arent you all complaining about that? CAL pays the same rate for 767 or 777 and for a 737-800 or 757 series. Jet blues EMB-190 top rate is less than skywests 50 seat rate. Granted Jet blue tops out at 12 years and it looks like skywest tops out at 18 years. The max pay on a CRJ 50 at ASA is $82/hr. Max pay on a CRJ 70 at ASA is $103. If you take the average that is $92.50/hr. Looks to me like skywest tops out at $93/hr on the 50 seat plane. Airtran pays the same rate for a 717 or a 737. A 777 has quite a few more seats than a 767 however why is there no outcry that CAL has no differential pay. I am really just curious since I am new to this type of stuff. I have been lurking for a while and have seen this harped on time and time again. I did some research on airlinepilotpay.com so the numbers may be off some. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. My question is why is everyone screaming about skywest flying an RJ that only has 16 more seats for the same pay as the 50 seat? It also appears their 50 seat rate is more than some of the other airlines 70 seat rates. Someone please enlighten me.

At ASA we haven't even got to pay rates yet. Hell if our management had half a brain they might be able to sell a single pay rate, if they fixed all the other problems in our current contract. Also our management gave us two seperate pay scales. But they don't even want to negotiate a new contract. We have been in contract talks for 3 years and only have one third of it done. So you see why everyone is frustrated.

Also UPS pays the same pay rate regardless of aircraft type.

701EV

Hey old guys. Quick update. I believe ASA has stopped taking aircraft and running new hire classes in order to "catch up with training." Dec. cut in CVG will mean you will see the first major line reduction. Maybe the beginning of the furlough process. Oh and it has been a while since ASA has added one of the 38 expected orders to the fleet... All these events just happen to come at the same time. It also happens in the same month that DAL declares BK... What are the odds? Might the management that you hate so much for short sightedness have a long term plan?

Meanwhile over at SKYW they can't run the classes fast enough and are offering new pay incentives. I am not a Union wizzard and I don't know much about "raising the bar", "holding the line", and "stopping whipsaws" ... I am, however, acutely aware of when someone is trying to go after my job, my paycheck, which also means my home, my credit rating, etc...

I know I'm new to the airlines so I don't realise:
Skywest wouldn't buy ASA and then transfer the assets mngmt said they wouldn't.

Our Union won't allow bad things to happen. We could close this place down.

At least (and this is my favorite) while I'm on the street I can go to bed easy knowing that I never flew a 70 seater at a 50 seat rate.

SKYW would never dare take on the power of ALPA.

ASA runs Atlanta and DAL would never risk a disruption in the ATL.

ASA has never furloughed.

The best example of naivety can be seen with travel bennies... I hear people thinking SKYW will be brought up to our level because DAL pilots really need it too. Mngmt does not give a crap about us. We are an expensive cog in an expensive wheel. They are trying to fix a cog not make the cog happy and give it an easy commute.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of the rhetoric that will keep us all safe. So keep picketing guys. Once the public sees your plight they will start paying more for tickets and management will have no choice but to raise your QOL to silence the masses.

SKYW is "evil" for having a single payrate, while the USAirways MEC are heroes because they agreed to fly the E190 for about the same as SKYW 50 seat rates. Wake up people. Despite what DW and ALPA say, we are competing with each other. The mainline will undercut you just to capture the flying. Until ALPA can figure out a way to stop the competition, we must COMPETE.

JoeMerchant said:
SKYW is "evil" for having a single payrate, while the USAirways MEC are heroes because they agreed to fly the E190 for about the same as SKYW 50 seat rates. Wake up people. Despite what DW and ALPA say, we are competing with each other. The mainline will undercut you just to capture the flying. Until ALPA can figure out a way to stop the competition, we must COMPETE.

Or leave ALPA all together and save 2% of your pay. Lets see what SkyWest has to offer (if anything), and if it is good, I'll vote AlPA straight back to D.C. What have they done for me lately, excpet waste money on binders to store all their propaganda, so I can keep it in easy reach, right at home. Funk you ALPA.

Oakum_Boy said:
Or leave ALPA all together and save 2% of your pay. Lets see what SkyWest has to offer (if anything), and if it is good, I'll vote AlPA straight back to D.C. What have they done for me lately, excpet waste money on binders to store all their propaganda, so I can keep it in easy reach, right at home. Funk you ALPA.

I agree Oakum. If SKYW management agrees to a single list at SKYW in exchange for dumping ALPA, I will vote Yes.

Crash Pad said:
Hey old guys. Quick update. I believe ASA has stopped taking aircraft and running new hire classes in order to "catch up with training." Dec. cut in CVG will mean you will see the first major line reduction. Maybe the beginning of the furlough process. Oh and it has been a while since ASA has added one of the 38 expected orders to the fleet... All these events just happen to come at the same time. It also happens in the same month that DAL declares BK... What are the odds? Might the management that you hate so much for short sightedness have a long term plan?

Meanwhile over at SKYW they can't run the classes fast enough and are offering new pay incentives. I am not a Union wizzard and I don't know much about "raising the bar", "holding the line", and "stopping whipsaws" ... I am, however, acutely aware of when someone is trying to go after my job, my paycheck, which also means my home, my credit rating, etc...

I know I'm new to the airlines so I don't realise:
Skywest wouldn't buy ASA and then transfer the assets mngmt said they wouldn't.

Our Union won't allow bad things to happen. We could close this place down.

At least (and this is my favorite) while I'm on the street I can go to bed easy knowing that I never flew a 70 seater at a 50 seat rate.

SKYW would never dare take on the power of ALPA.

ASA runs Atlanta and DAL would never risk a disruption in the ATL.

ASA has never furloughed.

The best example of naivety can be seen with travel bennies... I hear people thinking SKYW will be brought up to our level because DAL pilots really need it too. Mngmt does not give a crap about us. We are an expensive cog in an expensive wheel. They are trying to fix a cog not make the cog happy and give it an easy commute.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of the rhetoric that will keep us all safe. So keep picketing guys. Once the public sees your plight they will start paying more for tickets and management will have no choice but to raise your QOL to silence the masses.

Hey crash pad , getting caught up with training is why we postponed a few classes, do you work in the training department? We were 5-6 weeks behind on IOE because we have lost so many guys in the dept. over the last 2 years. We are just now getting caught up, We are obviously still hiring because we are still doing sim evals, every week! This coupled with the fact that the training dept was divided into two parts a few months ago, people deciding which side of the dept to go too. So yeah things were a little backed up , and that is an understatement. Oh yeah we also hired 30 instructors over the past 10 months . yes aircraft deliveries were postponed because we can not train pilots fast enough to fly them!And yes lines were cut, every year at this time!Get some facts before you TALK OUT OF YOUR A$$, pro-bie.You must be a treat to fly with.

Latest resources

Back