• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA picketing not going well?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to work until 1800 9/15. Is there any walking later? I am willing to give the Skywest management the benefit of the doubt (say 2 months roughly). But, after that, the gloves are off! I vote for a strike.
I know off several banking tricks to access the ol' 401(k) (all legal) that can arm every ASA pilot who contributes to the plan (for those that don't have ready savings). I am usually very conservative about retirement planning but I fear that the torch has been handed down to us from others who would shirk it for a quick upgrade (or aircraft) and we might have to sacrifice in the short term to benefit us in the long term.
The ASA pilot group has the chance to set a new standard. I hope and pray that we will!

Cheers, Wil

ifly4food said:
Unless you're chicken. In that case, just shut your pie hole.

Real classy from a "moderator".

wil said:
I am willing to give the Skywest management the benefit of the doubt (say 2 months roughly). But, after that, the gloves are off! I vote for a strike.

I doubt you will get the opportunity to vote for a strike anytime soon. ALPA has painted itself into a corner and has no exit strategy now.

wil said:
I fear that the torch has been handed down to us from others who would shirk it for a quick upgrade (or aircraft) and we might have to sacrifice in the short term to benefit us in the long term.
The ASA pilot group has the chance to set a new standard. I hope and pray that we will!

Cheers, Wil

Wil, do you really think that one pilot group can reverse this downturn single handed? Not one single pilot group since 2001 has matched CMR - not even XJT (they sold out the FO rates - FO rates were lower than CMR and even lower than ASA) All I would ask is for you to listen to all sides, do your own research, and don't trust either side. Our side has made some huge tacticle errors. We can't "raise the bar", or "set a new standard" on our own. Be careful about getting caught up in the union rhetoric.

Joe

Tomct said:
:mad:ASSDVR you are the very essence of this indstries WHOLE problem! If we don't make a stand NOW....WE ARE SCREWED!!! If you want to hurry and get you PIC and move on, you better take a look around! There are plenty of qualified people with a TON more time than you, that are still here due to oversaturation in the job market! Get a clue you Jack A$$!
Plan on making you career here and you will want a better contract! We need to have another showing like we did at the shareholders meeting in May! Step up everyone, this is VERY IMPORTANT!!

Tomct,
I have been here for over 12 years and I agree that many need to start thinking of this as a career instead of simply a stepping stone. The problem however is that our union does not have a comprehensive plan to move us in that direction. Our union on a National level considers this simply a stepping stone. I am here for the long haul and I believe we need to re-think our current strategy. The current plan isn't working. If you think things are bad now, just wait until Delta declares BK. We may be lucky just to hold onto what we have. I'm afraid our colleagues at CMR are going to take some cuts before this is over.

Joe

I don't know where the rest of the replies went....

But Joe, if you don't like either of the teams in the game, why are you playing.

EV120 said:
But Joe, if you don't like either of the teams in the game, why are you playing.

Not sure what you mean EV120? I'm not involved anymore because I didn't agree with the path we were taking. Hindsight is proving me right.

Joe

Not being involved and complaining is the same as complaining about an elected official...and not even voting.

If you are not invloved, on either side, you have no right to complain. Even George Carlin argree's with this idea, as crazy as he is-albeit funny

EV120 said:
Not being involved and complaining is the same as complaining about an elected official...and not even voting.

If you are not invloved, on either side, you have no right to complain. Even George Carlin argree's with this idea, as crazy as he is-albeit funny

1. I'm not involved anymore because the current administration didn't like what I had to say. ALPA has a very low tolerance for dissention. It is not allowed.

2. Everyone who pays dues has a right to complain especially when you are forced to pay dues.

I will continue to voice my opposition to the way things are being handled and I stand ready to get involved if asked back. Until then I will just watch and shake my head.

Joe

Ok then.

If you feel so wronged, stand up and say so. Publically, and not behind a screen name. Either do it on the ALPA boards or in the crew room. It seems at least the junior folks might listen. I express my displeasure dialy to my MEC, reps, and chief pilots. They know who I am, and what I am complaining about. I have even done it to other MEC Chairs as well.

You are correct though, you do have the right as a dues paying member. Just don't hide here and do it.

I'll be listening in the crew lounge.....

Latest resources

Back