• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Outsourcing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, the flying belongs to Delta, Inc., the holding company(broker) that now wholly owns Delta Airlines, NorthWest Airlines, Comair, Compass, and Mesaba. The same company that contracts with ASA, Mesa, Republic, and Skywest.

I agree with that....I was just posting the position of ALPA....I don't share it.....In the eyes of ALPA, this flying belongs to the Delta pilots through their section 1...

I have no problem with Skywest covering this flying...We are the same corporation....I was simplying pointing out the absurdity of ALPA protesting this on a scope basis...

Quick, somebody get some flammable material and throw it.

So can we safely label SKW pilots as scabs for flying these trips? I bet Walter and XPOO dispatched some of these flights too. You scab dispatchers!!!!!!!!

Who cares if somebody covered our asses while we were down and out on the mat. We pitched in to help Delta when their 88's were grounded.

More importantly though is the 95% number that Skipper mentioned earlier. If we don't pull our collective asses together, we'll never make it to Dec 2010 to see how we are cost wise.

I bet Walter and XPOO dispatched some of these flights too. You scab dispatchers!!!!!!!!
I did, indeed...and I have a new respect for our counterparts at ASQ because of it.

Let it be noted that it means the world to me that I've finally been labeled a "scab" on FI! I waited 2 yearsfor this...I was starting to feel left behind.

Also, Mesa sucks.

Last edited:
Prior to the grounding, SKW already had a couple of CRJ2's in ATL to cover ASA flying impacted by A/C shortage due to ramp damage.

The way I understand it (and I could be a little off on certain details), because ASA was not sure exactly how long the groundings were going to last, they pre-canceled a certain amount of flying on certain routes so that other DL Conx carriers would be able to commit x amount of A/C and y amount of crews for a definite amount of time for the sake of logistics planning.

While I can't speak to your contract or the long term affects of doing something like this... I can say that this was very quickly put together for the sake of maintaining a certain level operational integrity and passenger movement...not with any kind of malicious intent toward any particular pilot group.

The DL Connection carriers already, at the request of Mother Delta, check with each other's OCC's prior to canceling a ATL/CVG based trip in the event another DCI carrier can cover the flying. I know ASA has covered SKW a time or two when SKW had a CRJ9 go MX in an outstation and they were able to operate the flight with a spare CRJ2 and reserve crew.

Sounds like Operational Integration! If it quacks like a duck, and it looks like a duck then it must be a.........!

I agree with that....I was just posting the position of ALPA....I don't share it.....In the eyes of ALPA, this flying belongs to the Delta pilots through their section 1...

I have no problem with Skywest covering this flying...We are the same corporation....I was simplying pointing out the absurdity of ALPA protesting this on a scope basis...

If anyone knows it, I am sure you do. I was not rebutting you, just hammering home the obvious! As the Campaigner and now the President says, there are somethings we can all agree on!

Last edited:
How have you guys been? Haven't chatted with you all in awhile. :beer:
I can't speak for XPOO, but I've been working hard to keep your ilk outta trouble, of course. ;) Well, that and spending far too little time in Texas and/or drinking my beloved Shiner Bock and far too much time running from the Mormon fuzz.

Hope things are going well out there...

Last edited:
So can we safely label SKW pilots as scabs for flying these trips? I bet Walter and XPOO dispatched some of these flights too. You scab dispatchers!!!!!!!!

Who cares if somebody covered our asses while we were down and out on the mat. We pitched in to help Delta when their 88's were grounded.

More importantly though is the 95% number that Skipper mentioned earlier. If we don't pull our collective asses together, we'll never make it to Dec 2010 to see how we are cost wise.

Let's consider this 95% number... Would it really be that difficult to hit, operationally? We should have all our planes back up real soon, and we should be able to accomplish that, shouldn't we?

-Also, I never have figured out a clear answer to what counts in that 95%.... What if Delta initiates the cancellation-for some reason beyond our control?

To all, allow me to reiterate my post.

To start off, I'm not arguing that it's not Delta Inc's flying. It is. They want it covered. I get that. I also get the huge impact that cancelling all those flights for the boroscope issue. That was done in 2 days. My issue is that the "Help" from SYW is going beyond our problem. Allow me to point you to the facts that concern me. If you go to OURASA and look at the Realtime report, it shows 17 flights cancelled by OCC. All these flights are then rescheduled with different flight numbers and assigned to SKW. Check Delta.com for proof. Then go look up the Flow board and you will find a dozen or so CR2's with no flight assignments from mid morning til the late push. Most of these cancelled flights could be accomadated with our own equipment. If the real reason for our need of help is "Crew Shortage", then that ought to boil your blood. I've heard the likes of our upper management say when the announced our furlough that Skywest was "even fatter" on pilots. It is absolutely not right that our pilots remain on the streets while flying from our schedule is performed by another carrier. Now, another side to this is our completion factor. SH in RGT said that there are 2 numbers that matter. First is the adjusted for Wx/ATC and the other is RAW. The Raw is what we popped last month(<95%). That is the number that Mesa busted and cried foul to DAL when DAL asked them to cancel. The transfer of these flights each day to SKW is coming off of our Raw score. We are sitting at 93.5% today as I write this. As Walter said, this has been going on for weeks now.
This, to me, smells like a rat and that is why I brought it up. If someone could show me that SKW completing one of our flights does not effect our score, or that our score really doesn't matter, then I'm all ears. We have a contract with Delta to do a certain amount of flying. Using false pretenses to transfer that flying away is a very dangerous situation for us at ASA.

As Walter said, this has been going on for weeks now.
Whoa, Nelly...let me clarify.

Over the course of the CRJ2 grounding...I understand the reasoning for these being charlie-xrayed is because other DCI carriers committed to do the flying for a certain amount of time. I believe everyone, in an attempt to err on the side of caution, planned for a few days and each carrier committed to such. Kinda hard to change the plan last minute as more aircraft came online faster than expected. The damage was done...so the other DCI carriers operated as planned.

As far as the flights that have "been going on for weeks"...those flights would still be showing as a cancel for ASA even if there was no one was providing coverage thanks to an aircraft shortage at ASA due to damage. It is not a matter of crews...it's a matter of aircraft. All that is happening is SKW is covering lines...mainly SBN/OKC/MLI trips since they are cities already in our C070...for the sake of passenger movement. The important thing here is...either way, there would be a cancel on the books for ASA.

Sidenote: A quick glance at today's plot shows that we are back down to two CRJ2's covering lines in ATL...and those may be possibly coming out of the ATL system soon in the next couple days.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back