• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"pick it up or get drafted--at least you can have some control"

Don't answer your phone.

BuzzSaw

That doesn't help much when you're at work! I was drafted yesterday in the middle of a trip for a roundtrip in the middle of my days off. So were several others by the sound of it. Please understand refusing to pick up open time is NOT going to hurt ASA one bit. It hurts only your fellow pilots when they get extended/drafted to cover those trips.

As far as flying by the book: remember goons, that includes single engine taxi, 4 degree idle descents, etc.

amansworld - dont let the door hit ya. things are far from perfect at asa - far. exaggerating a little on all your wonderful opportunities? maybe a little? but i think its funny that you mention mx and inexperienced fo's, the captains now upgrading are 5-6 year fo's - far from 400 hour wonders. sure the new hires are green but when i upgraded my fo in training had 300 hours - 8 years ago.

i think asa has some of the best mx i have ever heard of at a regional - sure my gear doors are missing more than i wish and i'm 50% on lavs (thank god for 2) and seem to always lack coffee pots but ill take that anyday over fms, autopilot's, fd's and apu's.

when the weather is good im home on time 90% of the time - when the weather sux i expect delays. last week i waited 20 minutes for a gate and my fo was bitchin up a storm - we were 20 minutes early and parked on time. things aint perfect but the grass aint that green either.

amansworld - dont let the door hit ya. things are far from perfect at asa - far. exaggerating a little on all your wonderful opportunities? maybe a little? but i think its funny that you mention mx and inexperienced fo's, the captains now upgrading are 5-6 year fo's - far from 400 hour wonders. sure the new hires are green but when i upgraded my fo in training had 300 hours - 8 years ago.

i think asa has some of the best mx i have ever heard of at a regional - sure my gear doors are missing more than i wish and i'm 50% on lavs (thank god for 2) and seem to always lack coffee pots but ill take that anyday over fms, autopilot's, fd's and apu's.

when the weather is good im home on time 90% of the time - when the weather sux i expect delays. last week i waited 20 minutes for a gate and my fo was bitchin up a storm - we were 20 minutes early and parked on time. things aint perfect but the grass aint that green either.

Like I said good luck. Have no idea how senior you are FWIW someone will move up a number. We all have our opinions.

How many of you have just told the scheduling to stick the extension and take the occurance? If you have plans don't let them mess it up for you.

Maybe more ASA pilots should stand up and say NO! Enough pilots doing this could make a point. What the heck is one occurance going to do when most pilots will be leaving soon anyway.

How many of you have just told the scheduling to stick the extension and take the occurance? If you have plans don't let them mess it up for you.

Maybe more ASA pilots should stand up and say NO! Enough pilots doing this could make a point. What the heck is one occurance going to do when most pilots will be leaving soon anyway.

That's not an occurrance, it's potential disciplinary action up to termination. Not telling anyone what to do or not to do, but if you're going to refuse an extension and/or junior assignment you should be aware of the potential consequences.

I'm pretty sure Delta (and maybe some other carriers) are able to get information on sick calls. They DO ask the question during interviews.

This may be a no win situation for the pilot. The company should not treat you like a slave who has not control over their free time, but standing up could harm your chances for emancipation.

I'm pretty sure Delta (and maybe some other carriers) are able to get information on sick calls. They DO ask the question during interviews.

This may be a no win situation for the pilot. The company should not treat you like a slave who has not control over their free time, but standing up could harm your chances for emancipation.

Delta will be lucky to emerge from BK.

Unless you specifically sign something allowing one company to request information about sick time usage from another company, they can't get that information. It's prohibited by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA law). Providing that information without your consent would be no different than the company providing information about your medical insurance claims without your permission. It's against the law.

Might be against the law, in fact you are most likely correct. However, when you interview:

Capt. Swift: So, have you called in sick for a trip on a Holiday?
DL Wanna Be: I don't have to tell you, due to provisions found in the Health Insurance Portability Act of 1996
Capt. Swift: What?
Capt. Swift to his Secretary: Help this gentleman find the exit door. Who is the next person in line? Show him in.
DL Wanna Be: Blocked...Wind Check..I need a ride report... mumble mumble as he walks down the hall towards his 1992 Civic with flight school stickers all over the back

Hey, I don't like it, but I'm guessing this is how this plays out. We NEED to fix this whole random junior manning problem in the contract. Trying to fix it individually only harms the individual. The Company holds the cards due to the agreement our representatives negotiated and we ratified.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back