ASA Occurence "system"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

7KCAB

Wondering if an ASA crewmember could answer the following - you have 3 Naps in a row and you call in sick for the first one. If you are still sick for the second, is it 2 occurences or just one? The whole occurence system seems to be very mysterious. How do you know when you get one? Where is the system defined or is it? Where do you check how many you have?
Thanks in advance from a greenhorn.

7KCAB said:
Wondering if an ASA crewmember could answer the following - you have 3 Naps in a row and you call in sick for the first one. If you are still sick for the second, is it 2 occurences or just one? The whole occurence system seems to be very mysterious. How do you know when you get one? Where is the system defined or is it? Where do you check how many you have?
Thanks in advance from a greenhorn.

It is still one occurance. You have to return to work before recieving another one.

Yea, and where is my bottle and my blankie.....because I'm a kindergardener!! I mean, come on! Were adult professional employees getting occurrances! Lame.......

Better be careful though...I called in sick (I'm on reserve), then was told to call back the next day. I did call the next day, then for the next two after that (4 days total). Returning back to work I discovered that scheduling had given me 2 occurences, one for the first day then another for the next three days. All the days were in a row! It was their mistake and long story short ended up with only 1 for the 4 days. The moral of the story is, if you know you'll be out for a set number of days tell "scheduling" that then DON"T call back otherwise this could happen to you.

Last edited:
Do other airlines penalize pilots for calling in sick?

Thanks for the responses. Getting an occurence for calling in sick is ridiculous, especially if you have plenty of sick hours accrued - THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR, it would seem. Apperently they think we need to accure them at 2.75/month, but we can only use them so many at a time, even if you have 400+hours built up.

The occurence system simply fosters an environment of calling in sick when you want the day/days off if you don't have many occurences and then when you get too many, you fly sick.

Unbelievable.

So if you call in sick for the first nap, then don't show up for the second, will you get an occurence? You haven't returned to work, but you haven't told scheduling you're still sick.

Do any other airlines have a penalty system for calling in sick, other than lost pay if you don't have sick days?

Last edited:
Let me add my two cents. I am currently an ASA crewmember and I am having to deal with this bull**** occurance system. The best advice I can give anyone is to keep good records. If you are legitimately (excuse the spelling if its not right) sick and have records of doctors visits, prescriptions, etc, then you would win any battle against the company concerning being away from work. I am not saying that it wouldn;t go to court or the department of labor but in the long run you would win or could sue the company. I currently have a sinus/ear infection and I am dealing with those idiots as we speak on missing work. In addition to your own MD and record keeping the FAR's 91 & 121 prohibit you from flying if you are ill. That is something that the ALPA Aeromedical office could deal with as well. Granted its alot of hoops to jump through and may require legal action but you would win against ASA. Hope this helps.

I believe that the info on the new occourance system is posted somewhere on myasa along with the other chapters of the SP's that are not in the new revision.

Pinnacle has the same policy, but they stopped enforcing it some time ago. As ASABound said, there are serious legal consequences for the airline if they try to discipline a pilot for calling in sick.

I wonder if the feds (Kosta and Turner) are aware of the ASA's attempt to coerce pilots into flying while sick because of this system.

There is no requirement, neither FAA nor ASA, that requires a pilot to go to a doctor when sick. If ASA is requiring it, I'm sure the medical insurer would have a field day with that.

If you're sick, don't fly. Let ASA call them occurences or whatever they want. If they ever try to discipline you or anything like that, take them to the FAA first and then to court. Additionally, the local television stations would have a lot of fun with that little tidbit of news.

Stay safe.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back