• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA lightning strike that wasn't???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was a fire that started when ex. power was applied and started in the ex. power contactor. It burned for a bit then burned through the obs. o2 line creating a torch thus burning through the side of the plane and breaching the cockpit. Last I heard it isn't a total loss YET.......

Edit. In other news if it is a loss then were going to put the acars from this one in one of the CA airplanes.

Last edited:
Actually, it is the contactor that distributes all ac power. Power from the external plug, the IDG's and the APU gen all go through this contactor. It's the thing that clanks when you throw the gen's on or off line. So, yeah, it is a good thing that it didn't happen in flight. Because it it not isolated to ground use equipment is why the NTSB jumped all over this.

Actually, it is the contactor that distributes all ac power. Power from the external plug, the IDG's and the APU gen all go through this contactor. It's the thing that clanks when you throw the gen's on or off line. So, yeah, it is a good thing that it didn't happen in flight. Because it it not isolated to ground use equipment is why the NTSB jumped all over this.

Didn't ASA also have some ground power relay catch fire after getting wet a few years back??

Didn't ASA also have some ground power relay catch fire after getting wet a few years back??

I don't recall that one?

They had carbon build up between two gens from water that leaked into the avionics bay.

701EV

I don’t know what failed, but there are several (6) large contactors in that box to distribute power from the four potential power sources to the aircraft. Both engine generators and the APU generator are monitored for over current. External power is not. If I were to speculate, I’d say this is the contributing factor.

Latest resources

Back