• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA insurance... cost rising again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, you listen to Boortz so much you sound just like him and his words.

Now, I agree with this statement, but you should really give credit to BOORTZ for your statement since those are exactly what he has said many times before.

Give credit were credit is due.

Medeco

Sorry Medeco, but the only quote from him I used is the "horsesqueeze"...... We think alike and we may sound the same, but the rest is my own quote....

I don't believe the govt. is the answer to many of our problems...

I know it's hard for you to admit that you agree with me, but try it.....

So why hasn't ALPA pursued this? You are the ALPA cheerleader here.... what is the problem? Controlling entry requirements is key to the problem, but I don't see any leadership from Herndon..... Why not?

Because it isn't workable at this time. Much like a single seniority list, a national SOS, and the plethora of other red herring dream ideas that ALPA rank-and-file members come up with, this just isn't achievable at present. Maybe if we get a pro-labor government, but it's even a long shot then.

Because it isn't workable at this time. Much like a single seniority list, a national SOS, and the plethora of other red herring dream ideas that ALPA rank-and-file members come up with, this just isn't achievable at present. Maybe if we get a pro-labor government, but it's even a long shot then.

So ALPA can't do what the AMA and ABA did...... even though they aren't unions..... thanks for confirming my belief that ALPA has been a failure....

You preach about giving to the ALPA PAC, but they have never approached this problem the same way that other professions have..... Forget about whether or not it is achievable..... ALPA hasn't even attempted to regulate the entry requirements.....

That never stopped them from pushing for age 60 and other issues...... More excuses from the cheerleading section.....

Why wasn't it pushed during the Clinton years? Save me the anti-Republican BS for ALPA's failures..... ALPA had 8 years under Clinton to push for tighter restrictions on entry and they didn't.....

Waiting for the next excuse....

Last edited:
Clinton wasn't exactly the most labor-friendly President in the last century. He was certainly better than Bush, but NAFTA was a perfect example of how Clinton fu&^ed over labor. Besides that, there was an anti-labor Congress for 6 of the 8 Clinton years. Not a favorable environment for huge change in our favor.

"Forget about whether or not it is achievable?" Yeah, that's a smart idea Joe. Let's just throw money and resources at an idea that we know is unworkable at this point. While you have the luxery of sitting in front of your computer and arm-chair quarterbacking ALPA, the real ALPA leaders have to actually work on real solutions. Fantasies don't enter the equation.

Clinton wasn't exactly the most labor-friendly President in the last century. He was certainly better than Bush, but NAFTA was a perfect example of how Clinton fu&^ed over labor. Besides that, there was an anti-labor Congress for 6 of the 8 Clinton years. Not a favorable environment for huge change in our favor.

"Forget about whether or not it is achievable?" Yeah, that's a smart idea Joe. Let's just throw money and resources at an idea that we know is unworkable at this point. While you have the luxery of sitting in front of your computer and arm-chair quarterbacking ALPA, the real ALPA leaders have to actually work on real solutions. Fantasies don't enter the equation.

More excuses PCL... The AMA and ABA and other professional organizations have pushed thru barriers to entry..... ALPA has failed miserably in this area and you blame Bush.... When I point out Clinton, you say he wasn't all that labor friendly and you blame it on Congress..... More excuses.....

Have you watched the RBS commercials.... More action and less talk......

It takes more time to get an Associates Degree in underwater basketweaving than it does to become a 121 pilot.... and yet you still defend ALPA because that isn't their fault.... they have failed.... pure and simple...

So why hasn't ALPA pursued this? You are the ALPA cheerleader here.... what is the problem? Controlling entry requirements is key to the problem, but I don't see any leadership from Herndon..... Why not?

Joe,

The FAA determines the standards for pilot certifications and ratings--not ALPA. Achieving those required certificates and ratings cost alot of money.
As in medical certification, economic discrimination restricts many from pursuing the profession. As you well know, anyone that wants to play, has to pay.

Since entry requirements are determined by a pilot's willpower and ability to pay for the same, one has to determine his/her method to achieve the goal. Some do it through the military. Some do it with Daddy's Money. Some do it with scholarships. Some do it the old fashioned way--they bust their arses to earn it! Of course, some do it by self-dealing themselves a pay-for-training bonus!

Last edited:
Joe,

The FAA determines the standards for pilot certifications and ratings--not ALPA. Achieving those required certificates and ratings cost alot of money.
As in medical certification, economic discrimination restricts many from pursuing the profession. As you well know, anyone that wants to play, has to pay.

The entry requirements are also determined by a pilot's ability to pay for the same. Some do it through the military. Some do it with Daddy's Money. Some do it with scholarships. Some do it the old fashioned way--they bust their arses to earn it! Of course, some do it by self-dealing themselves a pay-for-training bonus!

Another cheap shot from the ALPA cheerleading section......

So tell me Speedtape, can anyone become a doctor or a lawyer in 11 months by enrolling in a puppy farm in Florida? Why not? Why is it harder to enroll in medical school and law school? Why does it take longer? Maybe, just maybe, the AMA and ABA has done better at controlling the entry requirements....

You say that the "FAA determines the standards for pilot certification and ratings" Your implication is that ALPA can't influence those standards.... If that is so, then why all the fuss over age 60 and ALPA's position.... Why did ALPA oppose it initially, then support it, and now oppose it again.....

As usual, you argument doesn't hold water.....

As to the PFT argument, I held out for a year back in '93 and all it did was cost me some seniority....That was my first lesson that it doesn't pay to hold out....

If ALPA was serious about stopping the slide, it would do something about the dangerously low entry requirements..... until then it proves that this union has no teeth.....

Another cheap shot from the ALPA cheerleading section......

Sorry, but it is true, not a cheap shot.

So tell me Speedtape, can anyone become a doctor or a lawyer in 11 months by enrolling in a puppy farm in Florida? Why not? Why is it harder to enroll in medical school and law school? Why does it take longer? Maybe, just maybe, the AMA and ABA has done better at controlling the entry requirements....

First, your argument compares apples to oranges, but the answer is NO! But since you asked, the last time I applied to Medical School, my GPA, from a required
prerequisite undergraduate program, and my MCat scores were used to evaluate my eligibility to proceed with the application process. Doctors on the School Board ran the interviews and admissions process. Yes, school admissions are controlled and limited, and so are the number of medical schools. It also helps if your Daddy is a Doctor--really.

The last time I applied to Law School, my GPA and LSAT score were used to determine a composite score in the admission process. I did not have to interview, but a board made up of law professors and administrators determined successful candidates. Although admissions are limited, there are a lot of law schools. FYI, quite a few ASA pilots make more than the average lawyer. You are one of them.

When I got my ratings, I took the required ground schools and then the tests for the written portion. I paid for flight instruction for the mechanical and technical part. I was tested by either the FAA or FAA designee pilots. All it really took was MONEY, some average motor skills, and a small amount of brain power. No college is required. In fact, I don't think you even have to have a high school education. You just have to speak and read English, and have about $60 G's.

You say that the "FAA determines the standards for pilot certification and ratings" Your implication is that ALPA can't influence those standards.... If that is so, then why all the fuss over age 60 and ALPA's position.... Why did ALPA oppose it initially, then support it, and now oppose it again.....

ALPA can influence. ALPA cannot dictate or set the standards.

The age 60 rule change initiative was advanced by the FAA through the process of Rules Making. Apparently, parallel to that initiative, both the House and Senate were advancing legislation to make the change. It's my understanding, that due to some hearing procedures, and since there is going to be a change, that ALPA could not have a seat at the table to influence, since their long standing position was in opposition to the change. Seeing that change was eminent, ALPA, had to convince it's membership that the only way that ALPA could have a seat at the table was to change it's official position in opposition. Surely, you understand and know the politics in this matter.

As usual, you argument doesn't hold water.....

With all due respect, check your spelling. However, as usual, just because you say it's so, doesn't make it a fact.

As to the PFT argument, I held out for a year back in '93 and all it did was cost me some seniority....That was my first lesson that it doesn't pay to hold out....

Hmmm! I want hold that against you. We all got here in different ways. And to your defense, that was the requirement then. But for participating or more directly patronizing that system, along with others, did you not perpetuate that onerous method?

If ALPA was serious about stopping the slide, it would do something about the dangerously low entry requirements..... until then it proves that this union has no teeth.....

I understand the concerns with the low entry requirements, but ALPA does not control or dictate those requirements. I am sure they are trying to influence. Through a political process, and their PAC, they can only influence. By the way, do you contribute to ALPA's PAC? I know you know that the medical and legal professions both have very strong PACs. And, that is the way that game is played!

Last edited:
Now, PCL and JP, have you ever heard of anyone being turned down for health care in this country?

Yes. Go to a hospital emergency room (other than a large government run hospital like Grady), and witness it for yourself.

Have you ever heard of anyone not being able to get credit because they had unpaid hospital bills?

Yes. In fact, I know people who have filed bankruptcy after being buried in medical bills after they got cancer and hit the $1,000,000 lifetime cap of many insurance policies.

The system is expensive because of many factors, one of which is lawsuits and malpractice insurance cost to the doctors.

Agreed. A socialized medicine system would include tort reform and immunity from certain lawsuits.

Universal health care is far from the answer.

I disagree. It would not be a perfect solution, but it would provide a safety net for catastrophic illnesses and for the poor. The rich will still be able to secure the best care, as they do now. It will just cost them more. This is really the crux of the nationalized healthcare debate. The upper middle class don't want to have to pay more. It's all about number one.

Recently in the news, its been noted that high risk mothers to be are flying/driving to Washington state because the health care in British columbia cannot provide these women with the required care, how do you explain this, if socialized med is so good?
By the way those are Boortz statements too.

Medeco

As I said, the rich will still be able to secure the best care if they're willing to pay for it. Your anecdote proves it is possible.

Latest resources

Back