Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"ASA has no value whatsoever except for its revenue stream which comes from Delta,"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
"ASA has no value whatsoever except for its revenue stream which comes from Delta,"

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]ASA CEO departure fuels speculation on Delta asset sale
Friday August 12, 2005
Atlantic Southeast Airlines President William "Skip" Barnette is leaving to assume the top job at a small Ft. Lauderdale-based airline company, increasing speculation that the Delta Air Lines Regional subsidiary soon will be sold to provide cash to its struggling parent.Barnette, a 35-year veteran of Delta, will become president and CEO of twin carriers Caribbean Star and Caribbean Sun on Sept. 1. The privately held airlines serve 17 destinations in the Caribbean.

Analysts have viewed a sale of either ASA or Comair or both as a likely step for Delta, which is trying to avoid bankruptcy. Delta officials declined to comment yesterday on Barnette's departure or a pending sale. Atlanta-based ASA operates a fleet of 144 aircraft on more than 900 daily departures in the Delta Connection feeder network.

"Skip's decision was based on his own career decisions," ASA spokesperson Gina Pesko Laughlin told ATWOnline. "We can't comment on market rumors or speculation." Laughlin herself is leaving ASA for Delta's corporate offices next week.

St. George, Utah-based SkyWest Airlines, a publicly traded Delta Connection partner with $550 million in cash and a fleet of 221 aircraft, long has been touted as ASA's most likely acquisitor. SkyWest also flies in the United Express network.

Doug Abbey, an analyst with Velocity Group, told ATWOnline: "This is something they were talking about and thinking about and they would probably rather do it sooner than later."

Mike Boyd of The Boyd Group questioned the rationale, however. "ASA has no value whatsoever except for its revenue stream which comes from Delta," he said. "Every dime they make comes from Delta and Delta isn't making any money." Boyd also cited the challenge of combining cultures. For example, ASA pilots are unionized, while SkyWest pilots repeatedly have spurned union overtures. "We continue to look at opportunities," said SkyWest spokesperson Sabrena Suite. "Nothing is set in stone."

by Sandra Arnoult
[/font]

Boyd also cited the challenge of combining cultures. "For example, ASA pilots are unionized, while SkyWest pilots repeatedly have spurned union overtures. "

This is what I don't understand about SkyWest and their "staple" claims. If we are acquired by SKYW I think we will be operated separately, but if we are merged what makes the pilots think we will be stapled? They have no union so what makes them think they will have ANY say whatsoever in a seniority list integration? I think the ASA union will have a significant amount of say with the "new management" considering the fact we are in contract negotiations.

WWEfan said:
Boyd also cited the challenge of combining cultures. "For example, ASA pilots are unionized, while SkyWest pilots repeatedly have spurned union overtures. "

This is what I don't understand about SkyWest and their "staple" claims. If we are acquired by SKYW I think we will be operated separately, but if we are merged what makes the pilots think we will be stapled? They have no union so what makes them think they will have ANY say whatsoever in a seniority list integration? I think the ASA union will have a significant amount of say with the "new management" considering the fact we are in contract negotiations.
Anyone at Skywest that is spouting off about a staple is full of it. The two airlines IMHO will be operated seperately. ASA and ALPA will also have little say in the resulting integration. To say that ASA will have a "significant amount of say" is probably just wishful thinking, but hey, I hope for the best for all of us peeon's(sp?).

I've talked with a lot of fellow Skywest pilots about an ASA merger and the overwhelming response is the hope it will not happen, but if the merger does happen then the seniority integration should be something reasonable for both sides. A handful of people are for stapling, but it's not the majority opinion by far.

Scott

Why would the acquiring airline's pilots not be in favor of a staple is beyond me. Why would they want to give up seniority?

Rick James said:
Anyone at Skywest that is spouting off about a staple is full of it......ASA and ALPA will also have little say in the resulting integration. To say that ASA will have a "significant amount of say" is probably just wishful thinking...
Exactly right. Both examples you list above are the same kinds of people at the respective companies: those who believe, wrongly, that they have some control over the situation. Boyd is a tool. I wouldn't worry much about what he says.

Why would the acquiring airline's pilots not be in favor of a staple is beyond me. Why would they want to give up seniority?
You should be working for AA. Just ask the bottom 1500 TWA pilots and the 5000 TWA flight attendents.

Apparently Boyd doesn't think $18 million aircraft are assets. He just loves trumpeting his own horn.

I'm telling you: He is a tool. It seems somebody told him once that RJ's are expensive to operate and he bases every theory on that fact...I don't understand who actually pays this guy, but I wouldn't give his perspective on the industry, especially at the regionals, much weight.

Can someone tell me why Mike Boyd is always quoted in these articles. Why is his opinion so freaking important? Kit Darby is quoted in anything having to do with airline hiring, but he has a very skewed vision of what is going on in the industry

Latest resources

Back