ASA Give up your vacation!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HoserASA

Company wants folks to give up their August vacations on the CRJ200 due to crew shortages! All they're offering is the contract rate of 2.67 per day! Not even trying to sweeten the deal by offering double the rate! Don't do it! Just don't do it!

HoserASA said:
Company wants folks to give up their August vacations on the CRJ200 due to crew shortages! All they're offering is the contract rate of 2.67 per day! Not even trying to sweeten the deal by offering double the rate! Don't do it! Just don't do it!

Awww, too bad, so sad. Sucks for them!

"Pilots postponing their vacation will receive their schedule from Crew Scheduling for the period. Consideration will be given to a pilot's requests for days off and types of trips."

Yeah right. I'll give up my vacation if they make it worth my while AND allow me to choose my trips. You reap what you sow, ASA!

Saw that a few days ago. Why isn't ALPA out there telling us NOT to give up their vacation? Where are they?

Last edited:
73belair said:
Saw that a few days ago. Why isn't ALPA out there telling us NOT to give up their vacation? Where are they?

It is the responsibility of the individual pilot to make that decision. If ALPA were to tell you not to give up your vacation, then the company could take the Association to court for an illegal self-help action. There's lots of legal history on this subject. Basically, the unions always lose in cases like this. APA, IAM, AMFA, among other unions have received fines for sick-outs, slowdowns, refusing to pick up overtime, increases in AML write-ups, etc... The pilot group can certainly start this on their own, but any encouragement from the Association would be illegal under the RLA.

I have vacation in August and there is no way I am giving up my time for them. I believe the pilots of ASA has done alot to keep this company running. They are trully showing their true colors by violating our contract and the slow progress in our negotiations. So the answer to management is NO!!!

PCL_128 said:
It is the responsibility of the individual pilot to make that decision. If ALPA were to tell you not to give up your vacation, then the company could take the Association to court for an illegal self-help action. There's lots of legal history on this subject. Basically, the unions always lose in cases like this. APA, IAM, AMFA, among other unions have received fines for sick-outs, slowdowns, refusing to pick up overtime, increases in AML write-ups, etc... The pilot group can certainly start this on their own, but any encouragement from the Association would be illegal under the RLA.

Does that mean that ALPA can't "suggest" that you keep your vacation?

Everybody needs to pull out the contract and read up on this. I think it says they can take your vaction, but they have to give you 15 days notice. So if your vacation is in the last two weeks of the month get ready. If your vacation is in the first two weeks don't let them sucker you out of it.

Vacation Postponement

1. The Company may not cancel a pilot's vacation. If Company operations necessitate the postponement of vacations, the Company shall first solicit volunteers for such postponement. If there are insufficient volunteers for such postponement, the Company may make such postponements mandatory. The Company will give at least fifteen (15) days notice of vacation postponement.

2. Voluntary postponements shall be awarded in seniority order. Involuntary postpone­ments shall be awarded in inverse seniority order.

3. Pilots whose vacations are postponed pursuant to Paragraph C.1., above, may select a non-postponeable vacation from open vacation for the current year or may add such vacation as non-postponeable vacation to the ensuing year's useable vacation. After such vacation has been awarded, a pilot will designate which period(s) will be non-postponeable. A pilot shall have the option of receiving vacation pay in lieu of rescheduling a postponed vacation period.

4. When scheduled vacation dates are involuntarily postponed by the Company, the Company will reimburse the pilot for all non-refundable deposits made by the pilot in reliance upon the originally scheduled dates. The Company must be expeditiously advised by the pilot that postponement of a scheduled vacation will result in a forfeiture of a deposit. The pilot will be reimbursed within thirty (30) days of submitting appropriate documentation of the forfeited deposits. The pilot will use his best efforts to assist the Company in the recovery of the deposit.

So basically that says that you guys really need to start booking your Disney world trips, or any other expensive non refundable trips should it come down to beyond asking volunteers ;)

Latest resources

Back