Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

singlespeed

building turbine time
I have a couple of questions for you new hire ASA people.

1.How long were/have you been on reserve?
2.How much did you make during this period including per-diem
3.How was your QOL on reserve?
4.Which base are you in?

Thanks in advance and if you don’t want to answer Q #2 that’s ok I can figure this one out on my own.

No prob....

1. Completed IOE/SOE in Jan 02 and still am on reserve in ATL on the CR7.

2. The same as everyone else the first year.....$19.02 an hour, 75 hours guaranteed, plus $1.50 an hour per diem. Do the math, can't tell you how much in per diem, 'cause I only flew about 10 to 15 hours a month.......Nap reserve.

3. No real complaints. The lines on the CR7 don't really exceed 75 hours a month anyway, so I'm not losing money by not flying. The 2 hour callout is a must when based in ATL, especially around rush hour.

4. Take a guess.

Enjoy your class.

LTG

1. I went to the EMB-120 as a new hire in 05/02 spent 1 month on reserve out of DFW.
A friend of mine that went to class in 07/02 went to the crj in DFW and also only spent 1 month on reserve. He might have spent 1-2 months on reserve when the EMB was retired and f.o.'s jumped over and up ahead of him on the crj.

2. 1100-1300 dollars a month. Yeah, first year sucks.

3. Know your contract. Scheduling will hose new hires who don't know the contract. I learned don't forget to turn your cell phone off at night or they will call earlier than your scheduled time.

4. DFW

Remember there won't be much movement in the next few years. Hired 11/02 to the e-120 in DFW. On reserve the whole time other than this last month. Got a line ths month and the next month, but there are a bunch of ATL guys comming over so that may not last.
They are planning on shifting a lot of 50 seat flying over to DFW and most of the new 70s will go it ATL. So it depends on what the ATL people bid as to where new hires will go.

You will probably end up on the CR7 in ATL. I think they are going to bypass current pilots with a CR7 bid in, and put new hires in the new CR7 slots. They have done this kind of thing in the past. Actually, they did it to me.

Bypass

Sleepy,
I'm pretty new to the airline business, but I don't understand the benefit of bypassing a current CR7 FO, paying him the bypass pay, and training a new hire for the 70-seat. The amount of training involved is the same regardless of who attends said training. On the Brasilia, it was a different story. A Brasilia FO wanting to transition to the jet would have to be taken offline for two months jet training and since the company paid all 1'st year FO's the same it was cheaper to pay the Brasilia FO bypass pay and put a new hire in the 50.

Transition to the 70 is less time consuming. The new hire has to attend the two month CR2 training whether they are going to the 70 or not. They then have to attend the same differences training that a 50 seat FO transitioning to the 70 would attend. I can't personally see the financial incentive for bypassing a 50 seat FO.

When you were bypassed as you stated above, did the company explain the benefit? If not, do you have any ideas about why this occurs that I have not considered?

Just trying to figure this out.

Good Luck to all that wish to join us here at ASA.

AT

I am all for the bypass, if they want to go that route...sign me up!

Re: Bypass

AutoTransfer said:
Sleepy,
I'm pretty new to the airline business, but I don't understand the benefit of bypassing a current CR7 FO, paying him the bypass pay, and training a new hire for the 70-seat. The amount of training involved is the same regardless of who attends said training. On the Brasilia, it was a different story. A Brasilia FO wanting to transition to the jet would have to be taken offline for two months jet training and since the company paid all 1'st year FO's the same it was cheaper to pay the Brasilia FO bypass pay and put a new hire in the 50.

Transition to the 70 is less time consuming. The new hire has to attend the two month CR2 training whether they are going to the 70 or not. They then have to attend the same differences training that a 50 seat FO transitioning to the 70 would attend. I can't personally see the financial incentive for bypassing a 50 seat FO.

When you were bypassed as you stated above, did the company explain the benefit? If not, do you have any ideas about why this occurs that I have not considered?

Just trying to figure this out.

Good Luck to all that wish to join us here at ASA.

AT

You would not bypass a CR7 FO for the CR7 as you stated, they are already on the CR7, and would not be affected by a bypass. They could bypass a CR2 or ATR FO. If they let an ATR FO come to the CR7, then they have to run him throught a two month training program on the CR2 then the CR7, then do IOE on the CR2 and SOE on the CR7 (which now takes several weeks with the new requirements). They would then have to send the new hire through two months of ATR training, and do IOE on the ATR.

If they bypass the current ATR FO for CR7, and send the new hire to the CR7, then they only have to pay the bypassed ATR FO CR7
pay, which isn't much more than he is making now (about $1.50 per hour more). They do not have to spend the $25K to train the ATR FO to fly the CR7 (how long will it take for the ATR FO to make the $25K, $1.50 an hour at a time, a long time), they just have to pay the new hires $25K training cost, that they were going to pay anyway. Then they get the new hire working on the CR7 for $19.01 per hour for a whole year.

By bypassing the ATR FO they save the $25K training cost. They are only paying the ATR FO $1350 per year more with bypass pay (at 75 hours per month). The company could do that for about 18 years before it would cost them more money than the training costs of upgrading the ATR FO.

Do you get it?

I get it, but you left out one detail. The company has the right to place new hires wherever they have the need. Newhires DO NOT bypass anyone. If this were the case there would be half of the pilots here getting bypass pay. There are alot of guys on the CR2 or ATR who have current bids in on the 70. I guarantee when we have a newhire class, some of them will go into the 70 before everyone with a bid gets it. As Sleepy stated, why send two people through training when you can only send the newhire through. It is right? Is it grievable? You decide..

Latest resources

Back