• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA/expressjet & skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure, I know its business. And I understand he has a fiduciary responsibility solely to the shareholders of SKYW. That doesn't mean you don't treat people with dignity and respect.

With all due respect, Jerry and Skywest Inc. do treat people with dignity and respect. I can tell you for a fact, that we are treated better than any other management we have had. There is a reason that Skywest keeps voting against a union. I would rather work for good management without a union than with bad management with union. In other words, I would rather work for Skywest than for Mesa. I assume you would rather work for Mesa.

Nevets said:
It doesn't matter how smart, good, or rich he or Inc is, what he is doing is not good business ethics. I rather take my chances, however little you think they are, by staying independent than being a part of this.

It does matter how smart, good and rich Skywest Inc. is...It give you more options and more bargaining power. It's much better to work for a profitable strong company rather than a weak unprofitable company.

Nevets said:
Yeah, thats exactly what I understood you to think. So we only disagree on the gauge of the aircraft that should be outsourced. That's fine. I agree to disagree with you on that and move on.

Why outsource anything then? What "gauge" is OK and why? Why does a single seat make a difference? I don't understand the whole "this is just a "regional" airplane" argument. They are all the same from the cockpit door forward....

Nevets said:
If that is true, then from my point of view and how JA and BR treated us, it just doesn't say much about your previous managment. And I never said I'm not for consolidation and some reduction of competition so we agree there as well.

We had some very bad management in the past, and that is why I said I would rather work for good management without ALPA rather than bad management with ALPA. Good management trumps bad management with ALPA.

Let me ask you an honest question. Without spin, try and answer it truthfully. What current regional management would you rather work for if you didn't work for Jerry...Feel free to pick any out there. Tell me which one would treat you better.

With all due respect, Jerry and Skywest Inc. do treat people with dignity and respect. I can tell you for a fact, that we are treated better than any other management we have had. There is a reason that Skywest keeps voting against a union. I would rather work for good management without a union than with bad management with union. In other words, I would rather work for Skywest than for Mesa. I assume you would rather work for Mesa.

They have not treated XJT pilots with any hint of dignity and respect. They don't want to honor our contract that this pilot group voted for. Just because you are treated better than Mesa, TSA, or your old ASA management, doesn't say much. There is a reason why they keep voting for no union but it has to do more with wool over the eyes otherwise ASA would have voted alpa out 5 years ago. I would rather work for good managemenet and with a union. SWA is a perfect example in the airline industry.

It does matter how smart, good and rich Skywest Inc. is...It give you more options and more bargaining power. It's much better to work for a profitable strong company rather than a weak unprofitable company.

What I'm saying is that you don't compromise yourself because because they are a genius or have lots of money. You do what is right regardless.

Why outsource anything then? What "gauge" is OK and why? Why does a single seat make a difference? I don't understand the whole "this is just a "regional" airplane" argument. They are all the same from the cockpit door forward....

Yeah, bring on the 100 seat airplane to ASA/XJT!

Let me ask you an honest question. Without spin, try and answer it truthfully. What current regional management would you rather work for if you didn't work for Jerry...Feel free to pick any out there. Tell me which one would treat you better.

The one I'm stuck with now. Ive said that numerous times that I rather not be part of JA's plan to blatantly try to violate our succersorship clause.

By the way, if JA was so interested in reducing competition, he would have agreed to one list two years ago. But it took him more than two years, a team of lawyers, and him throwing ASA under the bus (in his view), to try to circumnavigate our contract and still be left with two entities anyways. If he truly had altruistic intentions, he would have no problems honoring our hard fought contract.

Last edited:
They have not treated XJT pilots with any hint of dignity and respect. They don't want to honor our contract that this pilot group voted for. Just because you are treated better than Mesa, TSA, or your old ASA management, doesn't say much. There is a reason why they keep voting for no union but it has to do more with wool over the eyes otherwise ASA would have voted alpa out 5 years ago. I would rather work for good managemenet and with a union. SWA is a perfect example in the airline industry.

An ALPA vote at ASA would be very close and that is why ALPA hasn't pushed a single list hard between ASA and Skywest. You have a different pilot group at XJT that generally likes ALPA. ASA along with CMR and other established regionals have a more love/hate relationship with ALPA. Remember the PID and RJDC.

A combined list with ASA/SKW might result in ALPA being tossed to the curb and for that reason, ALPA never persued it. Many of us might vote against ALPA if the deal was right.

SWA worked because BOTH sides worked together....It takes BOTH sides to work. The SWA pilots union gave mangement flexiblity and didn't burdent them with expensive pension plans. In exchange, management gave the union other things they wanted and a profitable growing company.

Nevets said:
Yeah, bring on the 100 seat airplane to ASA/XJT!

Not sure what you mean here. Heck, bring on 757s like our fellow Jazz brothers and sisters are getting ready to fly. Either we are together, or we are separate....ALPA and the mainline want us separate....So be it. It was a mistake to make aircraft type or propulsion or stage length a litmus test of being a "real pilot" or a "real airline"....The chickens have come home to roost..

Nevets said:
The one I'm stuck with now. Ive said that numerous times that I rather not be part of JA's plan to blatantly try to violate our succersorship clause.

By the way, if JA was so interested in reducing competition, he would have agreed to one list two years ago. But it took him more than two years, a team of lawyers, and him throwing ASA under the bus (in his view), to try to circumnavigate our contract and still be left with two entities anyways. If he truly had altruistic intentions, he would have no problems honoring our hard fought contract.

He doesn't want to mix the union/non-union side and quite frankly I don't blame him. I'm all for a single list and actually have advocated in the past. I also understand the competition issue and the seniority list integration issue. Quite frankly, it's not going to be a cake walk with the ASA/XJT integration.

I'm all for including the Skywest pilots into the mix as they are generally more like the ASA pilots than the XJT pilots...They have a more senior group and are also sceptical of ALPA as are we...Bring it on....

Has your current management ever violated your agreement? If so, how often?

ASA along with CMR and other established regionals have a more love/hate relationship with ALPA.

What classifies as "established" in your terms?

We have guys from Bar Harbor that were hired in the 70's and the rest of the airlines(Britt, Rocky Mountain, and PBA) that ended up forming COEX in the 80's. Just because the current ExpressJet wasnt officially formed until 2002, does not mean we are not an established airline.

What classifies as "established" in your terms?

We have guys from Bar Harbor that were hired in the 70's and the rest of the airlines(Britt, Rocky Mountain, and PBA) that ended up forming COEX in the 80's. Just because the current ExpressJet wasnt officially formed until 2002, does not mean we are not an established airline.

You are, but it is clear that most of your pilots wanted to move on and did with the flowthrough. I was hired at ASA in 1994 and am number 190 out of about 1800. At XJT, I would be number 14 with what appears are at least 2 who aren't even line pilots because of their age above me. 1996 gets you near the top at XJT and it would put you in the 200s here.

We have more "lifers" and we generally aren't as enamored with ALPA as you guys are. I've noticed that the biggest ALPA supporters come from XJT and PNCL...they must serve better koolaid on those properties.

I can hardly wait for someone to say "well, my Dad can beat up your dad!!"

You are, but it is clear that most of your pilots wanted to move on and did with the flowthrough. I was hired at ASA in 1994 and am number 190 out of about 1800. At XJT, I would be number 14 with what appears are at least 2 who aren't even line pilots because of their age above me. 1996 gets you near the top at XJT and it would put you in the 200s here.

We have more "lifers" and we generally aren't as enamored with ALPA as you guys are. I've noticed that the biggest ALPA supporters come from XJT and PNCL...they must serve better koolaid on those properties.

We had a lot of guys move on, but it wasnt because of the flow through. More guys left after flow expired than during it.

I think at XJT we think decently of ALPA because we have had a decent relationship with our company(up until the past year or so). ALPA has nothing to do with it IMO, if we were still IACP, and history had repeated itself with the path the company took and we still had a decent relationship with the company, than we wouldnt be having this ALPA vs. non-ALPA argument. Just my opinion.

An ALPA vote at ASA would be very close and that is why ALPA hasn't pushed a single list hard between ASA and Skywest. You have a different pilot group at XJT that generally likes ALPA. ASA along with CMR and other established regionals have a more love/hate relationship with ALPA. Remember the PID and RJDC.

A combined list with ASA/SKW might result in ALPA being tossed to the curb and for that reason, ALPA never persued it. Many of us might vote against ALPA if the deal was right.

Of course makes sense since only 1/3 of the pilots at SKW voted for ALPA and the ones that didn't outnumber ALL of ASA. If it was a narrow defeat, things may be different as far as pursuing a single list.

SWA worked because BOTH sides worked together....It takes BOTH sides to work. The SWA pilots union gave mangement flexiblity and didn't burdent them with expensive pension plans. In exchange, management gave the union other things they wanted and a profitable growing company.

And that is the same reason why it worked at XJT. And that is also the reason why there are more fans of ALPA here. Its like the guys blaming ALPA at Mesa or TSA for how bad it is over there. As if it would be better if there was no union. JO and HK would be making things 100 times worse for those guys if it wasn't for ALPA.

Not sure what you mean here. Heck, bring on 757s like our fellow Jazz brothers and sisters are getting ready to fly. Either we are together, or we are separate....ALPA and the mainline want us separate....So be it. It was a mistake to make aircraft type or propulsion or stage length a litmus test of being a "real pilot" or a "real airline"....The chickens have come home to roost..

Yeah, outsource the 757s over to ASA/XJT.

He doesn't want to mix the union/non-union side and quite frankly I don't blame him. I'm all for a single list and actually have advocated in the past. I also understand the competition issue and the seniority list integration issue. Quite frankly, it's not going to be a cake walk with the ASA/XJT integration.

I don't blame unethical business men for trying to make a few million either but that doesn't make it right. This is what I don't get JA's stance on non-union. You have made a good case that it can work when management deals with unions. You give good examples at SWA and ASA. We made a good example of it as well. But many of us know why he plays both ends. He wants to continue the whipsaw. Its not about reducing competition or integration issues. Hell, BR makes a huge deal on the call about $70M in savings on synergy. Well if it saves that much money to merge two operations why don't they do it for all three? Like I said, many of us know why.

I'm all for including the Skywest pilots into the mix as they are generally more like the ASA pilots than the XJT pilots...They have a more senior group and are also sceptical of ALPA as are we...Bring it on....

Hey, skepticism is good. At least we agree here...bring it on!

Has your current management ever violated your agreement? If so, how often?

Unfortunately, in the last 6 months they have been violating left and right. We went from having maybe one or two group grievances open (which only three had gone to arbitration since the contract was signed) and a couple dozen individual ones to having a half dozen or more group grievances (with many of them scheduled for arbitration) and who knows how many individual ones. Unfortunately, management is starting to figure out that if they don't work with us, we don't work with them. And yet, things are relatively good when compared to others.

I don't speak for anyone other than myself. We didn't pick this fight with JA. He is doing it to himself. None of this would be an issue if he just respected our contract. This is why I don't like him. He tried it two years ago and whipsawed us and he is trying to do it again. I've made it clear I would prefer the deal fall thru.

Is your current management respecting your contract?

That's ok with me. For me personally after seeing for myself the Inc whipsaw, I rather stay independent of skw than to let this blatant disrespect for our pilots and contract go without trying to uphold it. It's too bad JA is making everyone lawyer up over this.

The "SKWY whipsaw" isn't as bad as you think it is.

Latest resources

Back