ASA drunk flight attendant cancels flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Won't you be my neighbor?

Some of the newspapers are reporting .032 which can't be right because thats not even an arrestable offense as far as I know.

Hey Goofball,
You are arrested before they administer the test. Field sobriety test can be give w/o arrest. Also, .040 is the FAA defined amount that you are "Presumed" to be intoxicated. You can be actually intoxicated at a lower amount, but the Prosecution needs to prove you were impaired at that lower amount.

Hey Goofball,
You are arrested before they administer the test. Field sobriety test can be give w/o arrest. Also, .040 is the FAA defined amount that you are "Presumed" to be intoxicated. You can be actually intoxicated at a lower amount, but the Prosecution needs to prove you were impaired at that lower amount.

Easy trigger, all I was saying is what can they do to her if see is .032. Sure they can arrest her and throw her in jail but if see was indeed .032 why was she stumbling around and telling the captain that she was going to kill him. My point being is the fu<king media gets it wrong 98% of the time and I'm pretty sure it was .32 not .032. And I didn't even have to use all caps to get my point across.

Easy trigger, all I was saying is what can they do to her if see is .032. Sure they can arrest her and throw her in jail but if see was indeed .032 why was she stumbling around and telling the captain that she was going to kill him. My point being is the fu<king media gets it wrong 98% of the time and I'm pretty sure it was .32 not .032. And I didn't even have to use all caps to get my point across.

You meant large, bold font, of course. ;)

That I will agree100%. I'm sure the media has F'd it up.

A very interesting thread. Our contract, and our company policy manual before that, calls for a crewmember to be pulled from duty if their breath (not blood) tests out over .02 but less than .04. Does ASA have a similar policy? I imagine we're not the only one. Either way, we can't even "report for duty while suffering from the effects of alcohol". Of course, getting loaded while ON duty is covered by another statement, too.

Also interesting: a simple Google search for Sarah Mills Delta resulted in "about 91,100" hits. Don't have time to read them all, but I guess the media in general really had their fun with this...

Here's the dirt I've heard. This from a mutual friend who talked to the captain when he got back (so it's second hand, but I consider the source reliable).

They left ATL late because of a pax injury. Got to LEX and the FA was acting very strange. Mumbling strange things. Stumbling up and down the aisle (she had been fine in ATL). In cockpit resting her head on her arms while saying crazy things during boarding. This is when she made the comment about having drunk a Jack on the way up. The captain was put in a bad position because everyone had seen her stumbling around and heard her make the Jack comment. This is why he HAD to call it in instead of covering for her (tell her to call in sick).

The crew suspects that she had taken medication on the flight up, something like Xanax, chased with the Jack, that caused her to act that way. This is all that would explain her being wasted at 0.032 BAC. And yes, she did initially refuse to be tested, and did tell the Captain "you're dead".

She is off line for the whole month, and has not YET been terminated. Being a FA on probation, I think we can all agree that she will be, but probably for the "trip failure" not the incident itself. That clears ASA of liability since the 0.40 alcohol policy apparently wasn't violated.

Here's the dirt I've heard. This from a mutual friend who talked to the captain when he got back (so it's second hand, but I consider the source reliable).

They left ATL late because of a pax injury. Got to LEX and the FA was acting very strange. Mumbling strange things. Stumbling up and down the aisle (she had been fine in ATL). In cockpit resting her head on her arms while saying crazy things during boarding. This is when she made the comment about having drunk a Jack on the way up. The captain was put in a bad position because everyone had seen her stumbling around and heard her make the Jack comment. This is why he HAD to call it in instead of covering for her (tell her to call in sick).

The crew suspects that she had taken medication on the flight up, something like Xanax, chased with the Jack, that caused her to act that way. This is all that would explain her being wasted at 0.032 BAC. And yes, she did initially refuse to be tested, and did tell the Captain "you're dead".

She is off line for the whole month, and has not YET been terminated. Being a FA on probation, I think we can all agree that she will be, but probably for the "trip failure" not the incident itself. That clears ASA of liability since the 0.40 alcohol policy apparently wasn't violated.

...our good friend xanax the palindrome makes another appearance.

That stuff will make you say and do all sorts of uninhibited things. Alcohol will surely exacerbate these proclivities. Expect ZERO memory of anything that takes place on it too. It essentially blacks out your memory.

Thanks for the info Pennekamp, I'd been REAL curious to hear something from someone at ASA.

Latest resources

Back