Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Slc

xanderman said:
Don't be concerned. I am Mormon and I make it a habit to get to know my neighbors and others who are not Mormon. Sometimes I think my non-Mormon friends and neighbors may feel like I don't want to participate in some of their activities. This is true, but only because I choose not to drink or go to the "club" if you know what I mean. Other than that we are really just normal people. I can say that most of the "things" you've been told probably aren't true. Get to know someone who is Mormon and you'll see...
Good Luck.
Andy
Hey thanks guys for all the replies. I certainly don't mean to blast Mormons and apologize for any offending. I'm very eager and excited to get the hell out of Atlanta and move West!! I've been told a lot of things, and I understand not wanting to party down. That's not the part I'm concerned with. I do know some Mormon people and all are extremely nice. I'm not concerned about "not being included" for myself. I could care less there. What I'm concerned about is my wife and kids.....They will never be Mormon (I don't think) so I don't want to move somewhere and be "banished" from community stuff cuz we're not Mormon. Example, At school, Mormon kids not associating with non-Mormon kids, etc. That's all I mean. Again, not concerned for myself, just for my family.

Beer

airksk said:
Okay, I've seen enough posts about the beer out there that I've got to ask. WTF is up with the beer?!
I think in Utah, beer is 3/2? More beer, less alcohol!!

SLC is not totally influenced by the Mormons. Over the years, people of all faiths have been moving to SLC so the Mormon effect is diluted some what. That being said, you will see influences here and there but it's not too bad.

To sum up SLC: beautiful mountains (not flat land like in DFW), nice people, skiing very close, West Coast nearby (including Vegas!) and AFFORDABLE LIVING. Not a bad place to be.

CF34-3B1 said:
The company pays for us to move what, 10,000lbs?

How many cases of ShinerBok is that?
LMAO!!! But since we're closer to Colorado now, Fat Tire becomes a very VIABLE option!! That's why I bid Corpus from Atlanta, one of the only overnights featuring Fat Tire!! If you haven't tried it, do so, it's awesome!!

Heavy Set said:
SLC is not totally influenced by the Mormons. Over the years, people of all faiths have been moving to SLC so the Mormon effect is diluted some what. That being said, you will see influences here and there but it's not too bad.

To sum up SLC: beautiful mountains (not flat land like in DFW), nice people, skiing very close, West Coast nearby (including Vegas!) and AFFORDABLE LIVING. Not a bad place to be.
I appreciate the feedback! I can't wait!! I look forward to being WEST!!!

"SLC is not totally influenced by the Mormons" They founded the town! Those of you moving to Salt Lake need to read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. Make no mistake, the Mormons are Utah. Try watching SNL on the local NBC affiliate which is Mormon owned. Now I'm not trying to bash on Mormons. My neighbors are Mormon and are fantastic. Many of the Mormons I've flown with have been some of the best people I've worked with. But this state is very unique as some of you will see. Below are the my pros and cons on Utah.

Pros

1. Skiing/Snowboarding-The snow here is amazing. Wait till you ski your first powder day and you have to stop cause you're choking on powder.
2. Weather-All four seasons are great. Never extreme.
3. People-For the most part friendly
4. Housing-Not too terribly expensive
5. Did I mention the skiing?-It's also close by. I can be on the slopes in 45 minutes.

Cons

1. The state is run by a church-They founded the place so that's to be expected
2. Utahns are the WORST drivers- Rude, unsafe, I could go on forever
3. Weak Beer-You get used to it

BEER: the beer is 3.2 if purchasaed at your local grocery store. If you want a decent selection of "real" beer, go to a state liquor store, which is also the only place you can buy booze and wine.

MORMONS: I'm not one and have lived here most of my life. By and large they are very good and friendly people, though you will find the occasional family that won't have anything to do with you or your children if you aren't a "member" and there is no possibility of you becoming one. This attitude is more prevalent in areas outside Salt Lake County with the exception of the Park City/Deer Valley/Snyderville/Jeremy Ranch/Pinebrook area in Summit County. A little known fact is that Salt Lake City itself is actually about 55% non-Mormon. However the County as a whole is about 65%-70% Mormon. Davis County (north) and Utah County (south) are heavily Mormon (90+%) and very conservative places. Ronald Reagan, while esteemed, was still considered a liberal.

PLACES TO LIVE: Avenues, East Bench, Sugarhouse, Millcreek, Holladay, Sandy, Draper, South Jordan, Riverton and to a lesser extent Murray and Midvale are all good locations. Easy commute to the airport and restaurants/ski areas and downtown cultural events. Try to avoid the West Valley City area if you can. The "E" Center (hockey/indoor football/concerts) and the USANA Amphitheatre are there but its not the greatest area to live in.

Welcome to all who come! Jump in, the waters' fine.

Gobi Gred said:
"SLC is not totally influenced by the Mormons" They founded the town! Those of you moving to Salt Lake need to read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. Make no mistake, the Mormons are Utah. Try watching SNL on the local NBC affiliate which is Mormon owned. Now I'm not trying to bash on Mormons. My neighbors are Mormon and are fantastic. Many of the Mormons I've flown with have been some of the best people I've worked with. But this state is very unique as some of you will see. Below are the my pros and cons on Utah.

Pros

1. Skiing/Snowboarding-The snow here is amazing. Wait till you ski your first powder day and you have to stop cause you're choking on powder.
2. Weather-All four seasons are great. Never extreme.
3. People-For the most part friendly
4. Housing-Not too terribly expensive
5. Did I mention the skiing?-It's also close by. I can be on the slopes in 45 minutes.

Cons

1. The state is run by a church-They founded the place so that's to be expected
2. Utahns are the WORST drivers- Rude, unsafe, I could go on forever
3. Weak Beer-You get used to it
Thanks again for all the replies!! Bad drivers??? You ought to come to Atlanta, holy moly. The more info, the better and all whether good or bad is welcome!!!

Latest resources

Back