• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA December Res Lines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pick your poison. Do you want more days off, or 32 hour overnights?

How do you propose to get more days off when you still can't get to the min threshold without 4 trips anyhow?

-At least some of the XJET guys are actually looking at our system and attempting to negotiate for better. For exapmle, they seem to understand that the PBS software is only part of the picture. Unless we get control over pairing construction, our system will never get better.

Our PBS has a whole bunch of flaws, and we could have done a lot better. Hopefully XJET will use whatever leverage we have to fix some of these "oversights." Our guys sure as hell won't do anything but provide excuse after excuse for poorer and poorer agreements.

Last edited:
The ASA crj200 schedules have 7 leg days and reduced rest because of the stage lengths it flies because of Delta's policys......not because of pbs or pairing software. We couldn't build 20 hour plus trips without 6 and 7 leg days either because we can't make 2 hour flights when none exist. We used to fly to ICT, OKC, DSM, HPN, PVD, ARE, etc. Now we don't. XJT has long stage lengths. That is why they can have less legs for more block, NOT because of how we bid our schedules!

Last edited:
This is PRECISELY why I chose to use the word "systems" with an S at the end which makes it plural. It was referencing not only the pairing generator but ALSO the line construction. Together they were shown to be better than your PBS.

Does your contract specifically reference using the Ad-Opt pairing generator? Because if not, then what's to stop the company from changing if they find something "better"?

We've been through three or so pairing generators in the time I've been here. Personally I don't think the actual software differs much -- I think it depends more on the choices made while developing the pairings (such as eliminating soft time and short overnights) and the amount of training that the pilots/employees get for the software program. Pilots and management often disagree on what a productive pairing is, anyway.

Yay! 8 and 7 legs a day! woohoo!

fck that!

As mentioned, the XJT CBA only allows for 6 a day. Unless the duty period exists in a time period consisting of redeye flying.

Do you know the difference between a pair generator and PBS?

A pair generator is something that would allow testicles to drop, hence having a pair when it's done. Which is something the guys jumping on the cost competitive fear grenade need, a pair generator. I'll bet the person in the avatar of your other sign in has a pair.

Nope, 5 max stupid,

Not sure what that's in reference to, XJT allows 6.

-At least some of the XJET guys are actually looking at our system and attempting to negotiate for better. For exapmle, they seem to understand that the PBS software is only part of the picture. Unless we get control over pairing construction, our system will never get better.

Our PBS has a whole bunch of flaws, and we could have done a lot better. Hopefully XJET will use whatever leverage we have to fix some of these "oversights." Our guys sure as hell won't do anything but provide excuse after excuse for poorer and poorer agreements.

That would be true. The XJT PBS committee is looking into ALL the PBS software systems out there so as to explore every option. Shame that's not a 2 way street. In other words, it'd be nice if the ASA guys were taking a look at the XJT system.

XJT has long stage lengths. That is why they can have less legs for more block, NOT because of how we bid our schedules!

Depends on which domicile you're talking about. Some are primarily short, some are long, some are a mix.

The reason ASA guys aren't much interested in XJTs line bid system IMHO is simple. Aside from the fact that's it's nice to set all your parameters and basically pull out the schedule you want from the available pairings instead of combing through hundreds of lines looking for the ones that contain hopefully most of the things you want is.....the basic thing you like best is your ability to dump all the crap in that line you dont want, and then rebuild your schedule the way you want (which is what we aim to do initially with PBS) from a huge pot of open time. But, we know how your new management team works here. They are all about restricting your ability to control things. They will restrict your (our) ability to swap with low coverage, red arrows, restricted days, etc. They will eliminate the open time pot, whatever it takes to limit the high cost of giving more people more days off by trading 14 days off for a 15 day off schedule.. This is how they work. We've seen it. So all we're left with is line bidding, which in many peoples opinion is inferior to the PBS bidding process.

We all get the stuff about the need for less pilots and stuff and can agree on those points. I just have a hard time believing Brad and Jerry will ever agree to your swapping, dropping, LIW's and better day stuff. It's not in their DNA. If they do agree to that and it's the collective will of the bunch to go with that, then great. I'm all ears. I'll take the 20% raise while we are at it.

The reason ASA guys aren't much interested in XJTs line bid system IMHO is simple. Aside from the fact that's it's nice to set all your parameters and basically pull out the schedule you want from the available pairings instead of combing through hundreds of lines looking for the ones that contain hopefully most of the things you want is.....the basic thing you like best is your ability to dump all the crap in that line you dont want, and then rebuild your schedule the way you want (which is what we aim to do initially with PBS) from a huge pot of open time. But, we know how your new management team works here. They are all about restricting your ability to control things. They will restrict your (our) ability to swap with low coverage, red arrows, restricted days, etc. They will eliminate the open time pot, whatever it takes to limit the high cost of giving more people more days off by trading 14 days off for a 15 day off schedule.. This is how they work. We've seen it. So all we're left with is line bidding, which in many peoples opinion is inferior to the PBS bidding process.

We all get the stuff about the need for less pilots and stuff and can agree on those points. I just have a hard time believing Brad and Jerry will ever agree to your swapping, dropping, LIW's and better day stuff. It's not in their DNA. If they do agree to that and it's the collective will of the bunch to go with that, then great. I'm all ears. I'll take the 20% raise while we are at it.

You're right it is very simple. THEY ARE NOT NEGOTIATING IN GOOD FAITH!

Swap this, swap that, ILIW, SLIW, swap etc etc, sounds like a bunch of wasted time spent in front of the computer while ASA pilots get what they want from the start. No thanks. We'll take your pairing generator though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back