• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA, Comair, Delta non-revs on Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really. This is news to me. (I don't nonrev on Skywest too often). Sort of bullcrap if you ask me. I think (but I'm not 100% certain) that Delta pays Skywest on an ASM buy (cost-plus) type schedule. That means Delta essentially charters the Skywest aircraft to fly where we want to them to fly. Which means DL is basically chartering the whole aircraft, and as such DL is buying all 50 seats on an OO aircraft every time. By extension, all 50 of those seats technically belong to Delta, not Skywest. Very interesting. You'd think Skywest would wise up and see that from a nonrev POV they have more to gain from DL than DL has to gain from them.

Trip
Is a S3C2 a higher priority than what a ASA employee would be on? If you could find out it would help me out.

Trip is right on both counts:

1. SkyWest buddy passes are S3C2.
2. SkyWest buddy passes are for SkyWest only. They don't count for mainline Delta (or UAL) flights, which obviously can be a severe handicap for anyone trying to travel on a SkyWest buddy pass.

I don't know how the buddy passes work at ASA, but assuming they work on mainline and other DAL Connection carriers, that's a huge advantage over SkyWest buddy passes. If there is in fact a higher priority on SkyWest for SkyWest buddy passes (I don't know that there is) that might be a logical explanation.

By the way, as far as the crews go at SkyWest, I've never seen a single person who doesn't go above and beyond to accomodate non-revs and jumpseaters (as long as we're informed of them of course), regardless of what airline the non-revs are from. That's also been true when I've JS'd on ASA. The crews are totally accomodating and professional, and it's greatly appreciated. I assume that's the case at all regionals. You'd have to be a pretty big a-hole to discriminate against a fellow crewmember or their family based on what airline they happen to work for.

Big L

In no way should an employee be bumped for a buddy pass (any buddy pass). If this happened to me, I would contact the pass bureau and maybe even send an email to the station manager asking for an explanation. They should take this seriously. Pass benefits are one of the last benefits that have remained largely untouched, and it's a shame to see people get hosed like this. I'm going along with the buddy pass being a friend/family member of the gate agent theory.

The order of priority for a Sky West flight should be:

S3 - Skywest employees
S3C - Active Delta/ASA/Comair Employees
S3CR - Retired Delta/Non-Dependent/Parents
S4 - Delta Buddy Passes

The order for a Delta flight should be:

S2/S3 - Delta Employees
S3B - Retired Delta Employees/Non-Dependents/Parents
S3C - SKYW/CHQ Employees
S3D - Furloughed (Coach Only)
S4 - Delta Buddy Passes
S4B - Pan-Am employees who still have rights to Delta Non-Rev travel

I have run into some problems with this myself on a trip I took from SAN-DEN in which the SLC-DEN leg was a SKYW CRJ and I recognized some people from that flight. I fly S3 on Delta and got the last seat in F/C from SAN-DEN then I got to SLC and saw some of the same people standing by for the Denver flight. They were all on S3B passes as Non-Dependents. The SKYW agent in SLC started clearing people and the people I knew should have been behind me got seats on the plane to DEN. After it was all over and I didn't get a seat, I asked the agent, and she said "they are on S3B passes and you are on S3C." I then told her that I got on the plane in SAN ahead of them and they were on S3Bs there as well. She then looked through the computer and told me they were Non-Dependents and the computer messed up by putting them on S3B status on the SKYW flight instead of S3CR, and that I should have gotten on that flight. It was no big deal cuz I got on the next Delta flight 2 hours later, but it goes to show you that things do get messed up and you have to double check them sometimes.

Mu2 is correct,
Type in A*W* in deltamatic for the prioritys.
I asked a couple of gates and of course recieved different answers, probably not intentional on the gates part. Your wife should have been above a OO buddy.

Thanks for looking into it Trip. I really appreciate it. See ya down the road.

Mu2Driver said:
The order of priority for a Sky West flight should be:

S3 - Skywest employees
S3C - Active Delta/ASA/Comair Employees
S3CR - Retired Delta/Non-Dependent/Parents
S4 - Delta Buddy Passes

The order for a Delta flight should be:

S2/S3 - Delta Employees
S3B - Retired Delta Employees/Non-Dependents/Parents
S3C - SKYW/CHQ Employees
S3D - Furloughed (Coach Only)
S4 - Delta Buddy Passes
S4B - Pan-Am employees who still have rights to Delta Non-Rev travel
So what are ASA current pilots on Delta? Are we considered Delta employees? Would an ASA pilot be a S3, or S3C?

Latest resources

Back