Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Willy21

Don't ask
My family and I just got back from the west coast trying to non-rev on Skywest. I am an ASA pilot and I ran into a interesting situation. On two flights out of a Skywest city we got bumped by a Skywest buddy pass, listed as a S4 on travelnet (to get home I spent $800 on Eagle and $180 for a hotel). I had a jumpseat pass filled out and was willing to do that to get to SLC. I understand that on Skywest flights active ASA, Comair, and Delta people only get a S3C priority. Likewise on Delta, ASA, and Comair flights Skywest people get S3B priority. They still get on ahead of our buddy pass riders. So my question is was the buddy pass getting on the flight ahead of me propper procedure? If it is then why is that not true on Delta, ASA, and Comair flights with actively employed Skywest non-revs?

Second, when does the non-rev list close on Skywest flights? On the second flight the last non-rev, also a buddy pass rider walked up 5 mins after scheduled departure and was boarded. They held the flight for him even though my wife, daughter and I were in the gate house ready to go.

Also when I non-rev on a Delta flight (DL, EV, ect.) I have to conform to the Dress code that Delta has published. One of the buddy pass riders was wearing shorts. I asked the agent at the gate about it and she said that was propper attire for a Skywest non-rev. I then asked if it would be alright for my family to put on shorts and she said we would be denied boarding. Why the difference?

I understand that non-reving on the west coat or anywhere can be difficult at best. I would like to think that when I am in the right seat spinning the wheel I will make it happen for any non-rev or jumpseater if I can. That is just a good practice because you never know when you might need the help. It just sucks when you think you got the shaft. Skywest pilots, If I did get the shaft who do I call so this doesn't happen again.

So my question is was the buddy pass getting on the flight ahead of me propper procedure?

Contact your pass bureau as they will have the answer.

Skywest might allow their internal buddy pass riders priority over offline carrier travel pass holders. Maybe the buddy pass rider was a family member of the gate agent and you got hosed... Either way, contact your company and check with them.

If something was done incorrectly, you should file a complaint and have Delta investigate. You won't get your money back, but you might get a gate agent fired and or disciplined, which might send a message to other gate agents to follow the rules.

Post a reply when you find out the real deal..

Getting somebody fired is not my goal, just want to know if what happened is what should have happened. I also wanted to let Delta, ASA, and Comair pilots know that if this is the correct procedure they need to look at the buddy pass riders a little closer.

I non-rev on ASA a bit and allways get S3C with SKYW ID and SKYW gate agents? I am usually the last non-rev on the list.

Here is some cut and paste info I found regarding NRSA with connection carriers.

Dress Code Guidelines

Dress code guidelines vary among carriers. Always check with the operating carrier before traveling.

Family & Friends guests are eligible for travel on SkyWest on any flight operated on behalf of Delta.

The boarding priority for Family & Friends guests is SA4.

Nonrevenue travel on SkyWest flights will follow the same non-rev travel procedures and guidelines as a Delta flight with the exception of the boarding priority. The boarding priority is S3C or S3CR.

Sorry for the sloppy post, but it is mostly cut and pasted info from dalweb.

Last edited:
trip said:
I non-rev on ASA a bit and allways get S3C with SKYW ID and SKYW gate agents? I am usually the last non-rev on the list.

You are still boarded above the buddy pass (S4). I was listed as a S3C, no problem, it was a Skywest airplane. The thing that gets me is a non-employee (buddy pass) was cleared before an active employee.

Just a shot in the dark here, because I know it's apples and oranges, but maybe the buddy pass riders were travelling with the employee? If I recall correctly, at UAL buddy pass riders travelling WITH the employee get the full benefit of the employee's seniority AND their boarding priority (but I could be totally wrong). If they're alone, then they're bottom of the barrell.

propjockey said:
Just a shot in the dark here, because I know it's apples and oranges, but maybe the buddy pass riders were travelling with the employee? If I recall correctly, at UAL buddy pass riders travelling WITH the employee get the full benefit of the employee's seniority AND their boarding priority (but I could be totally wrong). If they're alone, then they're bottom of the barrell.

He was the only non-rev that got on the flight. I was trying to get my wife on the flight so that I could take the jumpseat.

SKYW Buddy pass riders are S3C2 on SKYW flights last time I checked,
We dont have Buddy passes on mainline or other carriers. I never really understand what goes on behind the counter half the time, its like trying to get info out of Fort Knox. I usually just shake my head and walk over to LUV!

Latest resources

Back