Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA CDHP going up $700 next year for families? Switch back to ppo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Enuff,

If your current dr is a UHC network guy you're good nothing changes. Get out some eob statements (available online if needed) and run a comparison for your own situation. You might be surprised at the $$ the CDHP could save.

It may make financial sense for many IF you are able to pay the entire deductible out of pocket the day the policy becomes active. Just keep that in mind.

It may make financial sense for many IF you are able to pay the entire deductible out of pocket the day the policy becomes active. Just keep that in mind.

Most hospitals and Dr. Offices will put you on a payment plan if you CANNOT pay all at once... You can pay over time with the money as it goes into your HSA account.

I have been on the HSA for the past two years... We have had a baby, three surgerys, and a lot of Dr. visits.. I did the math and found out we saved over $3000 on the CDHP insurance.

Most hospitals and Dr. Offices will put you on a payment plan if you CANNOT pay all at once... You can pay over time with the money as it goes into your HSA account.

I have been on the HSA for the past two years... We have had a baby, three surgerys, and a lot of Dr. visits.. I did the math and found out we saved over $3000 on the CDHP insurance.

Good point. And just to add, you should be financially able to pay the full deductible EVERY year you're on this policy. Personally, I don't like debt. But everyone is different in their level of risk.

Good point. And just to add, you should be financially able to pay the full deductible EVERY year you're on this policy. Personally, I don't like debt. But everyone is different in their level of risk.

With the difference saved in premiums you keep more than enough money to pay the deductible. The company's $1000 plus the difference between $380 in monthly premiums for the PPO and $107/month on the HSA gives you $4300 in my paycheck (or saved the HSA account if you wish) that I never saw on the PPO premium. And you'll never get a bill for $2600 all at once on the HDHC plan on day one.

With the difference saved in premiums you keep more than enough money to pay the deductible. The company's $1000 plus the difference between $380 in monthly premiums for the PPO and $107/month on the HSA gives you $4300 in my paycheck (or saved the HSA account if you wish) that I never saw on the PPO premium. And you'll never get a bill for $2600 all at once on the HDHC plan on day one.

I didn't know the company was contributing $1000 into your HSA, if that's what you're saying. But you also make a good point about banking the difference in premiums. I would do this up to the out of pocket maximum, at the very least, to begin with and keep replenishing it to that level as time goes on. Of course, you should be able to pay the full deductible starting day one, which the company contribution would help do. Out of curiosity, what is the family deductible and out of pocket maximum

Roughly $2400 and $6000

So assuming they contribute another $1000 to your HSA next year, it would take 15 months to have $6000 in your HSA IF you contribute the difference in premiums ($273/month) to your HSA. Have they said what their contribution commitments are?

I suppose. I've never been worried about that. If I have a Doctor visit, I either pay with whatever may be in my HSA account, or make up the difference with my bank account, knowing that I save over $250/month in premium payments. My daughter fell and hurt her arm, we went to the doctor. the visit and x rays were about $200. I figured it was still less than I would have paid that month in PPO premiums. Hopefully, nobody falls down or gets sick every month.

Latest resources

Back