Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA CDHP going up $700 next year for families? Switch back to ppo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyWest isn't pushing these HSA insurance plans because they're better. They're junk, comparable with the Obamacare exchanges that are soon to be set up.

The company is just getting you ready for the corn holing when they drop everyone onto their own devices and force you to the government programs.

WAKE UP!!!

Just because you can go out and buy a 50" LED TV with your HSA debit card, does not mean the plan is good.

SkyWest isn't pushing these HSA insurance plans because they're better. They're junk, comparable with the Obamacare exchanges that are soon to be set up.

The company is just getting you ready for the corn holing when they drop everyone onto their own devices and force you to the government programs.

WAKE UP!!!

Just because you can go out and buy a 50" LED TV with your HSA debit card, does not mean the plan is good.

Just with facts explain why you feel like that, without the broad statements. My monthly out of pocket is $275 per month less than the ppo. Preventative care (routine checkups for my kids) are at zero cost. The company puts in money each year. The hsa can grow for you throughout the future to cover out of pocket costs. The max out of pocket is the same either way. With the. Hdhc plan, you pay more until reaching the deductible - then 80/20. The ppo you pay higher premiums, but save none of that if you dont use it. I dont see your reasoning other than if the company wants it, it must be bad.

LXJT has different health plans than you. For example, I have a PPO that costs me $100 per month and has a $300 deductible. We also have a PPO that has a $1500 deductible and costs $65 per month.

LXJT also has a HDHP. But they don't contribute anything to your HSA. Premiums range from ~$15-35. Those premium rates you mentioned are probably for employee only.

They're shouldering you with the burden of shopping around for health care. They want you to watch every dime because you saving yourself money equals them saving money on their premiums. Why would I want that extra work. Negotiating with doctors' offices, hospitals, clinics....

Sure, you can go to the lowest bidder, but that's what they want. You skimping on your own family's health care.

So, I'm a conservative person, and I don't like being forced to 'Walmartize' my health care. If I want to see the best doc in town or in the country, I go, and let UHC do the negotiating. If you are are a cheapskate like most pilots then it may work for you.

$1000/yr will fly out of the account very quickly with children no matter what pittance you sock away on regional pay. Eventually, doctors will not waste their time with your phone calls questioning their going rates. If they're truly the best, you can't afford their time anyway.

The higher premiums of the PPO are for the insurance company to do the work. I fly planes, and they deal with the billing.

I can buy a 50" tv with the card? Just so I can watch DRs Oz and Phil?
Sweet!

Oakum...you are wrong about that. They still have rates with UHC, the same ones they charge the PPO. Never once have I 'called all around town' shopping a doctors rate. If you hurt your shoulder, for instance and go to an orthopedic doctor, you are charged the UHC negotiated rate for the visit. I paid about $300 for an MRI, and 100 bucks for the visit. That was $400. And that was all I had for the year. So on the PPO it would have been $20 copay, but my premium would have been over $300 for that month, and the next month and the next month. To come out ahead on the ppo, you need about 3-4 doctors appointments per month.

79%,

He does't want to listen to reason. So, try not to confuse him, or others for that matter, with the details.

Oakum...you are wrong about that. They still have rates with UHC, the same ones they charge the PPO. Never once have I 'called all around town' shopping a doctors rate. If you hurt your shoulder, for instance and go to an orthopedic doctor, you are charged the UHC negotiated rate for the visit. I paid about $300 for an MRI, and 100 bucks for the visit. That was $400. And that was all I had for the year. So on the PPO it would have been $20 copay, but my premium would have been over $300 for that month, and the next month and the next month. To come out ahead on the ppo, you need about 3-4 doctors appointments per month.

curious... do you have to go to specific doctors? I have the PPO now, like my dr but am rarely sick.

Enuff,

If your current dr is a UHC network guy you're good nothing changes. Get out some eob statements (available online if needed) and run a comparison for your own situation. You might be surprised at the $$ the CDHP could save.

Latest resources

Back