ASA Base Preferences

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FL000 said:
...or it could be because there's not a hill or a tree in the entire state of Texas. Perhaps they cut them all down for fear that y'all would discover how to make books.

What do you do with all those trees anyway? Climb them?

Bailout,

My response was to FL000 who said Texas had no trees and was flat.

FL000, I am assuming you live in ATL. Besides being able to non-rev pretty much anywhere in 1 leg, what advantage does ATL offer over DFW.

I can think of MANY advantages DFW (the area and the airport) offers.

1) Cost of living. Try buying a house is ATL (one that isn't surrounded by crack houses) for less than $150,000.

2) No state taxes in Texas.

3) No ATL rampers in DFW.

4) Not having to hold or be ground stopped every time there is a cloud spotted near the major airport.

You are painting a very poor picture of DFW for future ASA employees. DFW has lots to offer, and since most new ASA employees are coming to DFW, you are giving them a negatively biased view before they even get a chance to make their own views.

TWA 2 ASA FO said:
...you are giving them a negatively biased view before they even get a chance to make their own views.
...because I said there were no trees or hills??? Yeah, that'll stop 'em from heading out west! Did you even read the posts about Atlanta above mine, or were you so blinded by the dissing of your State that you missed the fact that your cronies (AND you) are taking pot shots at Atlanta that don't exactly sum up the city. Can you find those things here? Sure. Can you find them in Dallas and Ft. Worth? Sure. I've lived in all three cities, and I'm a native Atlantan. We have our negatives, but so does the Metroplex.

Atlanta is a great place to live. So is Dallas. So is Ft. Worth.

The bottom line is that you've taken a freindly salvo and blown it completely out of proportion. Lighten up.

P.S. what's the deal with Texans thinking they can cut in line everywhere?

The DFW base is a dreadful, dreadful place...I do not recommend anyone coming to DFW with a higher seniority number than me!

Amen to that!! And, I agree with the above post...I just bought a 2700 sq ft home with a pool in one of the nicest areas of the metroplex for under 160,000.

Just remember though, the property taxes are brutal in TX. Sure there is no state income tax, but they are making it up on the other end. Our house appraised at 140K for taxes and they are hitting us for a little over $3500 this year. Dallas is hot as all hell, it's not real pedestrian/bicycle friendly (in the metroplex). On the flipside, the operation is 10X better here. The Atlanta operation is retarded, totally frustrating. I would say the cost of living is a little better out here in DF/W and newbies tend to move up the list a little quicker. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the insight. It sounds like it all comes down to personal preference with regards to which base is better. Not that I will have much of a choice in matter anyways, but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. Appreciate it.

777JP

There are nice parts of Texas (the hill country for example), I just didn't like the metroplex (it's like living in a 25 square mile paved parking lot). As for the operations, I don't really see DFW as being much better than ATL. I fly through both on a regular basis, and the ATL operation has gotten much better. From an ATC standpoint, the DFW airport is one of the worst designed in the world. The controlers are idiots who can't seem to make up their minds which runway they want you to land on (ATL controlers are the best in the world by far).

TWA 2 ASA FO said:
3) No ATL rampers in DFW.
C'mon guys...noone can disagree with this one! :D

At the end of the day it is a personal preference. I lived in DFW for almost 5 years and loved it. It was further away from my family in TN, but for me it was a better quality of life. I realise that with the expansion of the base that things have changed, but I loved the fact that DFW felt more like 'family', with crew rooms that were combined, instead of the pilot/FA segregagtion that ATL had. I also felt that as a base DFW had a better rapport with all the ops folks than ATL did, but then again maybe that's because I knew I could call ops when I was running late and they'd cut me some slack ;)

To each their own, but as a new hire, wherever you go, go with an open mind......it'll make life much easier :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back