• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medeco

SQUIB
Discuss as you will.

Medeco

ASA ops in ATL changing to Delta on Friday
May 31, 2007

Starting Friday we’ll be assuming all ground handling responsibilities for all the Delta Connection carriers in Atlanta, including all Atlantic Southeast Airlines flights at the C and D concourses. We'll take over ramp control responsibility for those gates as well. We've been doing ground handling for Freedom, Chautauqua and Shuttle America flights in ATL since last year, and Friday’s ASA change completes the transition.
"Our Delta Connection operational performance is one of the top three priorities for Delta this year, and we had to consolidate operations and commercial to make a difference," said Wayne Aaron-v.p.-Delta Connection. "The impact is huge. Delta Connection touches two out of three departures and one third of Delta customers in Atlanta every day. The added complexity requires more focus today as well. By year’s end there will be nine DCI carriers, up from six just a year ago."
As part of the change, we're welcoming more than 1,200 former ASA employees to Delta. The transition will provide more flexibility to Delta and ASA with more gates that can be used across all carriers operating for Delta in Atlanta, Wayne said.

How are we able to use any other gates than we currently use? The reason I ask is, if we use A,B, or T gates we will have to use jetways, well I can't imagine that DL has purchased jetway bridge adapters for all the gates. I'm sure we can use the ones Skywest uses but that would be about it for now.

We are being condensed slowly. Our home will be the D concourse; the new jet bridges will be on C for Skywests and other DCI carriers who fly the 900/170's. No spots for the ATR on the new C plans.

Space will be tight. DAL is already doing pad ops for some of it's long turns. If we start using up other gate space which will be necessary when C goes to jetways, pad ops will be even more common.

SO have they announced when Delta is going to change the pass bennies or did they actually realize that it was a dumb idea.

By the time this new C plan takes place DL is banking on us having a new contract to also start swapping out CR9s for CR2s. By doing this the CR9s will fly longer haul trips and spend far less time on the grd in ATL. I can also see a new base (maybe) for ASA. You may also notice longer turn times at outstations. I have a 3 hr sit at an outstation in the middle of the day every week.

DL also has the option of removing CHQ from D and parking them on B if they had to. That would free up ~4-5 spots.

SO have they announced when Delta is going to change the pass bennies or did they actually realize that it was a dumb idea.

I bet they'll do it soon, since there aren't 1300 rampers that'll hit the street.

If you thought "professional" career rampers or gate agents from Delta were going to turn things around on June 1 you are mistaken. Nothing on the personel side is going to change anytime soon. All the current ASA/new Delta employees are "seat locked" for a year at their current assignments. Next June they can bid away to other terminals or shifts.

Perhaps they realized that they would be shooting themselves in the foot by doing that in the middle of summer. Here's hoping...

If you thought "professional" career rampers or gate agents from Delta were going to turn things around on June 1 you are mistaken. Nothing on the personel side is going to change anytime soon. All the current ASA/new Delta employees are "seat locked" for a year at their current assignments. Next June they can bid away to other terminals or shifts.

Hopefully things will change for the better as DL will be watching closely to make sure this experiment is a success. You may have the same front line ASA stock but the supervision will be true DL people. There will be a learning curve, but don't expect it to take long to make sure things get and stay on track.

Latest resources

Back