• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

asa and IAD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a great opportunity for displaced captains to get back over to the left seat. Is it worth the commute? I guess it all depends on your priorities.

Expect 12 days off per month for all IAD pilots, (with relatively low credit). The bottom 11 pilots in May 2010 will be on reserve forever. Expect an operational cluster FK for the first year. Forget about commuting it. DC, by its nature, has numerous events and conventions throughout the year that cause complete sell outs and overbookings. Bon Voyage Suckers!

I've been warned off by two chief pilots now. They wouldn't say why, only that I would wind up regretting my decision to go to iad! WTF, I didn't understand so I called John P. in planning, guess it's mostly four days, and the commute will be extremely difficult. I want off friggin reserve, but now they make it sound like going to iad will be worse!
I didn't talk to the chief pilots, but I suspect there may be a substantial vacancy bid in ATL on the CR7 in the spring. The CR7 is short on captains right now in the slow flying season. With summer block hour increases, it would be reasonable to expect a need for at least 20 more CR7 captains...

Expect 12 days off per month for all IAD pilots, (with relatively low credit). The bottom 11 pilots in May 2010 will be on reserve forever. Expect an operational cluster FK for the first year. Forget about commuting it. DC, by its nature, has numerous events and conventions throughout the year that cause complete sell outs and overbookings. Bon Voyage Suckers!

Does your black cloud ever dissipate?

Does your black cloud ever dissipate?

Sunlit sure reminds me of someone who is always pissing and moaning on the ALPA boards..... You know-the one that the earlier humorous thread was about-that thread in which he and the Palm were locked in Mortal Kombat.

Some people are rain on every parade, some carry the umbrella.

What is uncommutable? (In terms of hours) and why 4-days!? Does SH have his fingers in this one too?

Hotwire seems to work the best for D.C. when I've taken vacations there ($50-$70/night in a 3 or 4 star in downtown) Another options is to figure out where ASA United and other crews overnight and those hotels usually offer a discount for leisure stays. Also call around for commuter rates at hotels (like the Sleep Inn in ATL). Would be good to have a hotel list before starting up there.

We've been up here a year now and as far as I know no one has been able to really find a "commuter rate" at any hotel near IAD. The guys that get the best prices seem to go thru priceline or hotwire...etc and the rates seem pretty much always at 50ish a night. I have talked to some people that have cars here (or do a "drivable" commute) and a 15-20 min drive south on 28 towards manassas will result in rooms in the 30ish a night range. Oh and the guys that do the crashpad thing seem to be paying 200-250 a month. Hope this helps you guys out....welcome to the suckage that is IAD....

We get it. You don't want people to bid IAD because you want your Captain slot there.

Quit spreading misinformation. It's really obvious what you're trying to do.

Latest resources

Back