• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA and having a baby

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a week of vacation left. I guess I could use it at first for a week of FMLA to get paid. Then I could come off FMLA and start calling in sick. Sounds like a plan, but how anal is ASA? Will this strategy raise eyebrows?

The law - as I understand it - is actually silent on this issue. It is determined by Company policy. Some employers, particularly those with 'paid time off' benefits, will allow you to use accrued sick time when FMLA leave is to care for a family member. In the airline industry it is rare.

At my previous job I used FMLA to care for a sick daughter. sinkrate is right in that the law is silent about pay, it just mandates that the time must be given. In my case I continued to be paid at a base rate thanks to my employer. Your HR benefits person should know what your company policy is.

I'm currently using FMLA to take extra days off to visit my dad who's sick, and Ameriflight's policy is to use all of your sick days before you start taking the days unpaid.

ummm....i am currently on FMLA, however I am using it for myself (MED leave section 9 in the contract) not only can you use sick time, YOU HAVE TO! and you get paid for your sick time. also, you can use vacation time if you have any left AND you can use vacation you've accrued for next year if you so choose. the company would not mind selling you next years vacation at this years rate.

Get better dude. Heard you are definitely comming back next week. Sweeeeeet

Oh, I forgot to say,
Mesa sucks!!!
:uzi:

Have had two kids at ASA and you can use your vacation but not sick time. Todd M. is a great guy and will help you out with any questions.

This is CORRECT info!

FMLA (the real gov't one) is not available for airline employees due to how your work time is calculated. Since you are capped at 100 hrs per month you don't work enough to meet the official requirements. HOWEVER, your contract may have it's own version of FMLA for you. It will differ at each company. My husband is at Eagle and has to use his vacation, if there is any left, during his leave. He can NOT use sick leave.

And before someone says I'm wrong:

Airline employees have failed to qualify for the FMLA because the law requires most employers to provide unpaid leave to only those employees who have worked 60 percent of a full-time schedule over the course of a year. The courts and federal agencies have defined “full-time schedule” as that of a traditional 40-hour workweek, thereby excluding any employee who does not fall within the traditional workday, according to the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA . The union explains that this concept does not work for flight attendants because time spent between trips, whether during the day or on overnights, does not count toward their time at work. Despite the fact that some flight attendants may be away from home for up to 20 days a month while working, it is virtually impossible for a full-time flight attendant to meet the annual threshold of 1,250 hours, the union says.

FMLA (the real gov't one) is not available for airline employees due to how your work time is calculated. Since you are capped at 100 hrs per month you don't work enough to meet the official requirements. HOWEVER, your contract may have it's own version of FMLA for you. It will differ at each company. My husband is at Eagle and has to use his vacation, if there is any left, during his leave. He can NOT use sick leave.

FMLA is standard, unless there is a collective bargaining agreement. Depending on the CBA, FMLA can be quite different from company to company.

FYI, this forum is not the best place to get the details for your specific company. I would suggest that you contact someone in the Leadership of your Union to obtain the correct and specific information.

Apparently, at ASA, recently, there has been some extensive negotiations in this matter that should simplify the process for all employees. However, there are specific duties and time requirements for initial notification and subsequent timely submission of paperwork.

It would be in your best interest to contact your Leadership in your Union to obtain this information as it is still being implemented. It appears that ASA ALPA has worked to achieve simplification of the process. Hopefully, it will work better.

Aww hell, just drop the kid and get back to work!!!
oh ya, mesa sucks !!!!
:uzi:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back