• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA ALPA dues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fins, what you don't get is that it's all about the Benjamins.

Like any political organization, money=influence. Go call your US Senator and try to mandate him if you don't believe me. You'll get an "uh, ok, thanks, I'll look into that". But when the Tobbaco lobbyist, ot the ATA lobbyist or the other big bucks call, they get his attention. Well, regardless of whether you like it or not, a union is the same way. The mainline groups put in a lot more money, so they get a lot more influence.

And it is FACT that the ASA MEC has always gotten more money back from ALPA than it puts in. It was that way back in 98, and it's that way now.

John -

I will agree with you factually. But, where does it authorize the union to behave this way in the Constitution and Bylaws, or within the constraints of the laws of our nation?

My arguement has always been that the entire union will be more successful in promoting our profession when they bring pilots together to negotiate as a unified force. I hope for a union that takes its fiduciary obligation to members seriously.

As far as the money goes I do not agree that ASA is a net debtor to ALPA, but none of us really knows, do we? Legal settlements are not MEC budget items. All members get stuck with those expenses. I think if you were able to look back in ALPA's history, the Delta MEC has been very costly for ALPA. When the RJDC nails ALPA even Dan Ford will get to pay his portion of the settlement out of his dues, if Comair, or ALPA, are even around then.

At any rate, ALPA saying that ASA costs too much is a lousy excuse for not representing us.

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
737Pylt - I sure do not "hate" mainline pilots. You have negotiated what you feel is in your best interest, which what any MEC does.

I am deeply disappointed that our union chooses to represent its preferred members to the extent that harming other members is considered normal business.

Re-read the definition of Fiduciary and tell me ALPA is performing its Fiduciary duty.

You don't seem to ever provide any objective factual information or news. I encourage you to do better. At least General does a little homework - you are a bore.
You are an ass! Keep up your crusade loser! You're doing wonders for your brethren at ASA. If you're so unhappy, quit! I would love nothing more sport! Your little lawsuit crusade has done wonders for your pilot group! You have provided nothing but twisted facts and lies!
Your group (rjdc) is trying to sue your way into a seat that doesn't belong to you! You are pathetic, and making your peers at the regionals look bad! Get over putting your blame on everyone else and look in the mirror!

~~~^~~~ said:
ATR - well if I can't convince you, would looking around you when you are parked next to Mesa, Freedom, CHQ, SkyWest, Comair and Shuttle America be persuasive? Would the "concessionary" forces acting on our current working agreement while our company is profitable be persuasive?

If I am not mistaken this year DCI flying will go over 50% of Delta block hours. There is no scope on that flying. When Delta performs less than 50% of Delta flying do you still hold the position that no pilot has the right to try to bind their company to an agreement?

Of course a pilot group has the right to have scope binding them to flying. To flying the code of the company that they fly for. DAL owns the DL code, so the DAL pilots negotiate which part of that flying they want to do, and which part they want others to do. Fortunatly for us they have decided that they don't want to fly 50 seat jets, and turboprops, so you and I have a job. Yes I believe that it would have been best back in 2000 if the PID had been passed, and it might have been had it been presented properly. But then again, there was nothing in it for DAL management, so it probably would not have happened anyway.

As far as all the other companies that also fly for DAL, while it sucks for us, it is only smart of DAL. I'm sure that you don't have all your 401K money in one stock. You spread it out to reduce your overall risk, and that is what the mainlines are doing with small jet providers. Yes it sucks for us, but that is why I want to be somewhere that has their own code, be it CAL, DAL, or AT.

~~~^~~~ said:
John -

I will agree with you factually. But, where does it authorize the union to behave this way in the Constitution and Bylaws, or within the constraints of the laws of our nation?

My arguement has always been that the entire union will be more successful in promoting our profession when they bring pilots together to negotiate as a unified force. I hope for a union that takes its fiduciary obligation to members seriously.

As far as the money goes I do not agree that ASA is a net debtor to ALPA, but none of us really knows, do we? Legal settlements are not MEC budget items. All members get stuck with those expenses. I think if you were able to look back in ALPA's history, the Delta MEC has been very costly for ALPA. When the RJDC nails ALPA even Dan Ford will get to pay his portion of the settlement out of his dues, if Comair, or ALPA, are even around then.

At any rate, ALPA saying that ASA costs too much is a lousy excuse for not representing us.

Unlike 737pylt, I'll keep emotion out of my response.

You're wrong in your assertion that the ALPA national legal costs are passed down. What I'm saying is that if you take the direct net from all ASA pilot dues, it is less than the annual MEC budget. It was that way back when I was involved in the union, and still is. I'm sure you can get your rep to show you a budget if you don't believe me.

Regarding Dan's crusade, I think it's funny that you said "when" he wins. Don't ya think his little charade has gone on long enough? What is RJDC even still fighting for? Why should ASA MEC get a seat at the table with the DMEC in Delta negotiations when we don't even work for the same company any more.

That's ridiculous, and you know it.

John Pennekamp said:
Unlike 737pylt, I'll keep emotion out of my response.
Guilty as charged....That doesn't change the fact that fins is still an ass! His group is notorious for lying and twisted facts!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back