• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA ALPA dues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Speaking of dues at ASA - where does it go?

Assume that every Captain makes 4th year 50 seat Captain's pay. Multiply that out at 75 hours a month, 12 months a year, and 900 captains on the seniority list and you get $ 48.6 million dollars. (round figures) Multiply that by the ALPA dues rate of 1.7% (round figure) and you get $835,920 per year going to ALPA.

Now just for fun, assume all 1800 pilots are at the 10 year rate on the 70 seater in the Captain position (round figures = $80 per hour) - now do the math. Thats $129,600,000 a year in crew salary. The ALPA cut of that? $2,203,200 - which wouldn't pay the salaries of the top 10 ALPA national executives for 3 quarters (Source LM2 form filed with the Department of Labor) And while 10s of thousands of pilots have been furloughed, non of the top ten ALPA executives have taken a pay cut. For the $800,000 or so we send ALPA every year we get scope which restricts our career potential, restricted and filtered information, rhetoric instead of education, and finally, representatives like Bunker Bob who refuse to hold themselves accountable to the rank and file, instead pushing their own agendas.

Read through the ALPA constitution sometimes - there is no provision for holding ALPA National accountable for how our dues are spent. Aren't you glad your money is being spent wisely? Transparency in how our union representatives conduct our business is key to holding our union representatives accountable. Why do you think they push for mandatory dues check off? Why do you think they push for agency shop? Because it keeps the money coming in no matter how pissed off and disgusted you are with the quality of our representation. Is the power really with the rank and file pilot or is it with ALPA National? No the game is rigged

Its time to take back our union.

Take a look at Miller v. ALPA brought by the Delta pilots over ALPA's finances. ALPA paid close to a million to keep from opening its books.

I'm so frustrated that our CNC and MEC is screwed in our current contract negotiations because of ALPA's scope and representational failures. ASA / Skywest is a financially healthy company. The reason why we are looking at concessions is because ALPA has encouraged the proliferation of Alter Ego airlines with pilots who will replace anyone who takes a stand.

Duane Woerth comes in to our Family Awareness Dinner and talkas about Independence Air and Mesaba being signs of ALPA's success. What the hack the the man talking about? Full pay to the last day is not success, unless ALPA's versions of "success" is watching small jet carriers that they never cared about representing go away. I consider success having a job that pays decently.

Even Lee Moak, an ALPA true blue radicial by most people's standards, ended up presiding over a hugely concessionary deal at Delta. AARrrrrrggghhhhh

Our dues are wasted. Not because ALPA is a bad idea, or bad organization. Our dues are wasted because the wrong people are running this union off a cliff.

gosh, sounds pretty good. how can we get signed up for ALPA at my airline?

oh wait, our OC is already signing people up on their own so that they can show inflated numbers to ALPA national.

~~~^~~~ said:
Take a look at Miller v. ALPA brought by the Delta pilots over ALPA's finances. ALPA paid close to a million to keep from opening its books.

I'm so frustrated that our CNC and MEC is screwed in our current contract negotiations because of ALPA's scope and representational failures. ASA / Skywest is a financially healthy company. The reason why we are looking at concessions is because ALPA has encouraged the proliferation of Alter Ego airlines with pilots who will replace anyone who takes a stand.

Duane Woerth comes in to our Family Awareness Dinner and talkas about Independence Air and Mesaba being signs of ALPA's success. What the hack the the man talking about? Full pay to the last day is not success, unless ALPA's versions of "success" is watching small jet carriers that they never cared about representing go away. I consider success having a job that pays decently.

Even Lee Moak, an ALPA true blue radicial by most people's standards, ended up presiding over a hugely concessionary deal at Delta. AARrrrrrggghhhhh

Our dues are wasted. Not because ALPA is a bad idea, or bad organization. Our dues are wasted because the wrong people are running this union off a cliff.

I am all for a union. We need one at this level due to the type of job, i.e. highly specialzed. What I am not in favor of, is the way in which they conduct their business of manipulating it's dues paying members.

At my last company, when attending union meetings, I almost expected the guys to jump up and start yelling, "Seig Heil!" Take lots of pilots that are unhappy and feed the fire so they are really angry and then ask them to make a good dicision. Since when has anyone made a good choice when they were pissed off?

Please don't get me wrong. We do need some sort of protection from the company but we need to step back and take a good look at what the union is doing and how they instruct the guys we vote for, to conduct business.

Turkey Shoot said:
I am all for a union. We need one at this level due to the type of job, i.e. highly specialzed. What I am not in favor of, is the way in which they conduct their business of manipulating it's dues paying members.

At my last company, when attending union meetings, I almost expected the guys to jump up and start yelling, "Seig Heil!" Take lots of pilots that are unhappy and feed the fire so they are really angry and then ask them to make a good dicision. Since when has anyone made a good choice when they were pissed off?

Please don't get me wrong. We do need some sort of protection from the company but we need to step back and take a good look at what the union is doing and how they instruct the guys we vote for, to conduct business.

So I will ask again. What is to stop JA from walking into his office one day and saying "all pilots will take a 20% paycut, and we are eliminating all rigs"? Right now, there is nothing stopping that from happening, except the threat of an ALPA drive on the property. Take away unions, and there is nothing stopping every airline management from doing the same thing. ALPA isn't perfect, just like any other organization. Yes I believe that they need to be help accountable, to the majors and the regionals. But right now they are the best that we have, and overall they do a lot more good than bad.

SuperKooter said:
Buy an good jobs lately?

Even the ramp is stooping to an all time low hiring someone like you that barely has a fifth grade education.

Don't you have airplanes to park and unload? Or maybe a few lav dumps to do?

Wait, I apologize, that is an insult to our rampers and ground personel. Even they would be embarassed to work with you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back