• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA ALPA Atlanta elections

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those of us who haven't made up our minds, what are the other candidates proposing to settle this contract. We know what the coalition of 4 has proposed, but I haven't heard much from the other side. Do they have anything new to offer, or are they proposing the same thing we have been doing for 4 years?

Anyone that's just after a signing bonus certainly won't get a vote from me.

So far, WF is the only one that I know of that's been open about his opinions in these matters. Whether he's "short-fused" or not, retro is my #1 priority!

Are you saying that the current ALPA volunteers will not work with whoever WE elect? I'm not sure who I am going to vote for, but it is disturbing to hear that the current union people won't work with people who the pilots elect. I have to tell you, ALPA is acting like a bunch of junior high school girls. Grow up!

Well, if a volunteer doesn't agree with the agenda of the MEC leadership then it would only be logical for that volunteer to quit. Why should I, as an ALPA volunteer who does stuff to try to help you with my free time, continue in that position under a leadership I don't approve of? Don't like it? Join a committee. If the coalition of four wins, I'm sure there will be plenty of vacancies.

If ASAP, which is totally about safety, can not be agreed on then we do not have the proper interaction between the two parties and the house on both sides of the table should be cleaned.

This is faulty logic. If one side of two negotiating teams is being completely unreasonable, why should both sides be replaced?

It sounds like you weren't paying attention during the whole ASAP fiasco. ALPA, or to put it more correctly, the ASA pilots, simply wanted an ASAP program just like other ASAP programs that are standard throughout the industry. Management wanted the union to waive all greivance protections associated with any incident. (Lets say the company agreed to retrain a pilot for some reason under the program. Without grievance protections, they could refuse to pay the pilot, or punish him in other ways). No other airline in the industry waived those protections, except for Comair. Considering how our management manages to take advantage of our pilots at every turn, it would have been completely irresponsible to agree to that. I believe that while most pilots really want ASAP, they supported our MEC's stance.

The same goes for most other issues that our current representatives are working on. Can anyone actually fault their methods? They have determined what the pilot group as a whole wants, and they are doing everything possible to make those things happen. Just because management hasn't agreed to everything we want (yet!) doesn't mean we need to fire our elected representatives. I think they have succeeded in representing us.

This is faulty logic. If one side of two negotiating teams is being completely unreasonable, why should both sides be replaced?

It sounds like you weren't paying attention during the whole ASAP fiasco. ALPA, or to put it more correctly, the ASA pilots, simply wanted an ASAP program just like other ASAP programs that are standard throughout the industry. Management wanted the union to waive all greivance protections associated with any incident. (Lets say the company agreed to retrain a pilot for some reason under the program. Without grievance protections, they could refuse to pay the pilot, or punish him in other ways). No other airline in the industry waived those protections, except for Comair. Considering how our management manages to take advantage of our pilots at every turn, it would have been completely irresponsible to agree to that. I believe that while most pilots really want ASAP, they supported our MEC's stance.

The same goes for most other issues that our current representatives are working on. Can anyone actually fault their methods? They have determined what the pilot group as a whole wants, and they are doing everything possible to make those things happen. Just because management hasn't agreed to everything we want (yet!) doesn't mean we need to fire our elected representatives. I think they have succeeded in representing us.

I talked to a member of the safety committee about this. He said that the company has now agreed to everything the union wants in the ASAP program. However the union is still refusing. He supports ALPA, but can't understand why the union won't agree to the ASAP now.

I talked to a member of the safety committee about this. He said that the company has now agreed to everything the union wants in the ASAP program. However the union is still refusing. He supports ALPA, but can't understand why the union won't agree to the ASAP now.

Does anyone have the union version of what's currently going on with ASAP? It seems there's always two sides to everything around here.

Are you saying that the current ALPA volunteers will not work with whoever WE elect? I'm not sure who I am going to vote for, but it is disturbing to hear that the current union people won't work with people who the pilots elect. I have to tell you, ALPA is acting like a bunch of junior high school girls. Grow up!

Isn't that what LJ did.

And you offered your services when?

Are you talking about that Sec/Tres guy who doesn't show up to meetings?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back