ASA, Air Willy or CoEx????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jehtplane said:
One more thing, why get mad when crew scheduling calls at those hours, I would laugh and not answer the phone.

Yeh, I remember as a kid... we didn't answer the phone and if we did answer the phone, when they asked for "daddy" he was often not at home...

ASA no too Bad

I agree with Jungle Prop. You get a lot of complainers that do nothing but complain. If you can survive first yr pay and reserve, you have it made. I like where I work. Although I'm currently serving with Uncle Sugar, I look forward to returning to the Ole RJ and "Hot-Lanta".

It is all what you make of it. Grass may seem greener, but if you water your lawn you'll have green grass too. Sounds corny but it makes sense. You get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck and never turn down an interview. Seniority is everything.

Title should read: ASA not too bad. I missed the mistake.

Last edited:
Yeh, seems like it's just like the rest of life, it's all about what you put into something...

I might be a junior guy here but i though you didnt have to answer your phone unless you were on reserve? Not sure how its crew schedulings fault that you were stupid enough to answer the phone at 2am.

Scheduling

If you're not on reserve, you do not have to answer your phone. It is a good idea to invest in "Caller ID". I got caught off guard several times. I now have my kids answer the phone and say "Daddy is not here can I take a message?".

It is not "Crew Schedulings" fault to begin with. It is the Company and what they allow the Managers to do in order to keep the fleet flying. Remember, a scheduler is just an employee doing his/her job keeping aircraft crewed. It is the Manager/Supervisor that teaches them the fine art of socking it to the flight crews. The schedulers are taught that aircrews make $65.00 per hr, work 40 hrs per week and still want 17 days off a month. "So, sock it to those money grubing bastards anytime you can".

~~~^~~~ said:
It all depends on your expectations. The first year I was here I got transferred to DFW against my will, was paying for two houses, sitting around bored on reserve, flying naps in the E120, getting junior manned when I was 1,000 miles away from base for .98 hours of block time and made $12,200 for the year. The strange thing is - I was happy because I was flying airplanes. Those are the shoes Doo Doo Brown and FS World (short for Flight Simulator?) are apparently in. They are happy because they are "airline pilots."

Now I make 5 times that amount and hold schedules as a CA in my chosen domicile. But I get mad when the phone rings at 02:30 several times a month on my off days (plus every holiday) to junior man me. I get mad that Crew Scheduling uses a calling card and tells my children "it is one of your daddy's friends," tricking them on the phone. I get mad that our Company has an ASAP program to report pilots to the FAA (which starts certificate action) while denying pilots an ASAP program without negotiating it into the contract. I get mad that crew scheduling can run you up to 02: 00 into your off day and not compensate you and can junior man you without regard for seniority (ever day off is a day of reserve at time and a half at this airline) You think you can drink a beer on your day off - think again. They junior manned a friend of mine and assigned him a trip while he was int he middle of a lake in a Bass boat holding a beer in one hand and a pole in the other. And yes he got a trip failure / occurrence when he no show'd despite the fact he was physiologically incapable of operating the airplane.

A slave is someone who has no control of their schedule or their life. We are slaves.

Another friend of mine was driving home to be with his dying mother. He was junior manned and threatened. He turned down the assignment. His mother died. ASA fired him. That is the sort of airline this is.

Why the hell did your friend answer his phone? Do you guys have to answer the phone on your off days? When I see any Utah area code on my phone on my off days, that bitch is goin' to voice mail, unless I want to work (which isn't very often).

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
I get mad that our Company has an ASAP program to report pilots to the FAA (which starts certificate action)

ASAP is more than that. If you didn't follow ASAP rules and the FAA investigates you you can get hung out to dry. If you follow ASAP you may get a little letter from the FAA (which fanishes after 2 years) but your not left to burn.

AWAC has a very successful ASAP program and has probably saved a few from the dreded FAA for what may seem like trivial mistakes.

Unfortunatly flying today is more about covering your tail than getting some!

~~~^~~~,

You haven't been on the ACA-lounge in a long time. What gives?

Latest resources

Back