• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA 4 Days

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not arguing the data. I believe anything can be skewed. If they hire guys that have been flying checks in all sorts weather, single pilot and guys that have been real instructors, I.E. lots of IFR and not just circling the patch, these guys will blow by low time guys everytime. Mainly this is because they've have experienced more and can contribute more to whatever scenario they find themselves in. Additionally, they don't seem quite as arrogant since they have watched students make the EXACT SAME mistakes over and over.

BTW, this idea that instructors just circle the patch have not had any real time teaching. When I taught and the clouds rolled in, good time to go fly. I even took my PPL students up in it because it was a heck of alot better than foggle flying. If a guy reaches 1500 hours and has a bunch of time teaching, he/ she likely has done quite a bit more than just "circle the field."

We are talking apples and oranges.

When ASA was hiring last, those CFIs you were just talking about were already gone. They were at ASA already, or Xjet, or somewhere else. What we had to choose from was a low-time pilot with exceptional training or a 2000 hour dude who has been flying pipeline patrol for 1800 hours. Between those two there is NO comparison.

Someone flying checks in bad weather, or a CFI who has been doing quality instruction and/or flying in the system, clearly they have more experience, and as long as they are a disciplined type, will likely do just fine in part 121 training. Of course, some of those check guys had some REALLY bad habits.

Remember, I'm not talking about the perfect candidate. The perfect candidate is a 10,000 hour furloughed captain from a 121 carrier. I'm talking about the realistic candidate we will have in 3 years when the hiring boom returns in full force. The only point I'm making is that, when the chips are down, the structured guys have an advantage, quality-wise, over the non-structured guys. Quality training makes quality pilots. How is that controversial? LOL

Not controversial at all in my book. I've heard all the same arguments you have evidently. Either way, the regionals are in for a tough time in the near future regardless of if this passes or not. It simply costs too much to sign on for the wages you can expect these days.

Not controversial at all in my book. I've heard all the same arguments you have evidently. Either way, the regionals are in for a tough time in the near future regardless of if this passes or not. It simply costs too much to sign on for the wages you can expect these days.

Agreed. The regionals are going to be hurting badly in 2 years, maybe 3.

Awwww. Did the angry little lib get his feelings hurt? I'll pay attention now if it will make your feelings all better.

Do I really need to point out that not all Embry-Riddle folks wake up and find themselves in the right seat of an airliner so quickly? I know many that have paid their dues, and some who haven't. Just like any other pipeline- E/R simply trains pilots with varying levels of competency- some are good and some are not.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back