Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Drill Sgt. Dad

Fugitive Recovery Agent
Any ALPA gurus out there can explain this? Can an FO REP be elected to be council chairman and the CA REP be elected to be Vice Chairman? It seemed to happen at ARW Council 51. Our Respective CA (SK)and FO REP (JB) were re-elected to their respective status positions.
Then there was a Chairman-Vice Chairman election. Our FO REP was elected the Chairman's position. I thought that was always the CA REP? Is there a difference who gets who? And if so, what is the difference?
Anyone?

You elect a CA Rep and a FO Rep first. Then another ballot will come out and you will elect a Chairman and Vice Chairman. It doesn't matter which one is elected Chairman. A FO Rep can be Chairman, but more commonly the CA Rep elected Chairman. Basically the Chairman is the Rep who calls meeting....If you want more, look in the ALPA Constitution and Bi Laws. In the end both Reps represent their position and base separately. So the Council 51 CA Rep and Council 51 FO Rep's vote equal 1 vote each in the MEC. Unless a Roll Call vote...In which case each vote that a Rep holds is counted. To answer your question...yes, a FO Rep can be the Chairman...although uncommon....It can happen.

Not only can any elected rep be also elected to chairman, an F/O can EVEN be appointed to the big position of MEC Chairman. That happened at ASA. A.T. "Tag" was elected MEC chairman in the 90's.

Drill SGT. There is no difference in chair or Vice Chair. Either one of us can call and chair LEC Meetings. We are both MEC members with full voting powers. The only difference is the LEC Chairman is responsible for the budget of the (I will let SK do that). If you need SK or myself, give us a call. This is why we took the positions.

Latest resources

Back