• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

azpilot

This is worth a read. One noteworthy quote:

"The dysfunctional airline industry
I've studied countless industries in my career and have never encountered such awful labor-management relations and dysfunctional cultures as we find in the airlines (though steel is a close second). Stanford Business School Professor Jeffrey Pfeffer agrees, noting in a 1994 article:"

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary...t.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y

Enjoy
AZPilot

The author of this article sits firmly atop the jetBlue bandwagon. A glance at the bottom of this airticle, to the links to "other recent articles" by the author reveal 4 consecutive articles on jetBlue.

Riding the jetBlue media bandwagon is certainly an easy gig for any journalist. How about a new or objective point of view? I don't see it coming from "The Motley Fool" or Whitney Tilson. Sorry.

While I agree with much of what is said, it is still the same old, same old. Again.

Good article. Whitney is obviously impressed with JetBlue. Since Airlines are historically good stocks to trade (not hold) I think Whitney makes a good case (for now) that JB will be here for the long haul and, as such, makes it a good addition to an investment portfolio.

Airtran stock the week of 9/11 was around 3.40 per share. Today it's at 12.40. For the active trader you can make some good money in airline stocks. Try that return on a 1or2 year bank cd:D

If you look at P/E ratios JB may be over priced, however, I will bet that within two years you will not be able to touch this stock for under 65 per share. You heard it here first.
Neeleman has a knack for turning whatever he touches into gold. Just look at his track record. He was even too kooky for SWA. My opinion is that JB is the future. It is a biz hybrid of mainline and LCC's. He has taken what works in both, got a great financing deal, invested in his people and technology and in a short time turned the airlines on their head. Do you think "Song" would be around if JB didn't exist? Doubtful.

Six months ago JetBlue was touting to everyone the benefits of a single fleet type and moderated expansion. Now they have just ordered a hundred or so of a new type of aircraft.

All of those Airbuses will not be under warranty forver. And costs grow exponentailly as the airline grows. There was a very good article about JetBlue in one of the financial magazines (can't remember which one) about a year and a half ago which talked about all of the costs they will probably inccur as they grow.

Also remember Neelman has great success in STARTING airlines, he has no experience in running large airlines over the long haul.

Not trying to bag on JetBlue, I like them very much in fact. But I think they are still too small and have too much to face before they become a serious force in the industry. Despite all of the press they are getting they are still only about 15% the size of Southwest, they are only about half the size of AirTran, and less than half the size of America West.

And they will not be the only ones with TV for long.

Mo Better

Spoken like a true male. Whomever told you size doesn't matter lied.

We've actually been placing bets at our house as to when the stock will split.

does this thing work?

Latest resources

Back