Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jmp025

Hello:

I just got selected for active-duty WOFT and shipping out on 3/22/06. I am a civilian so I am going through BCT & WOCS & WOFT.
I am 26 years old, graduate from Embry-Riddle with fixed-wing commercial rating & 300TT. I wanted to fly choppers but didn't have money to do it so I decided to join the Army WOFT program.
For all you veterns out there please give me some tips and what to expect.
Please let me know (in average), how much flight time I will have after my initial 6 year contract. How difficult it is to find a job after I get out? Where do most Army rotor pilots get their civilian jobs.
I would really appreciate your input.
Thank you.

Congratulations on your selection. Of course, keep your eye on the ball and focus on the training task at hand in ANY of the phases of training.

Beyond that, my VERY best advice if your plan works out is to put in for an overseas assignment right out of flight school - preferably a short tour. You will get more flight time and, if a short tour, will get a chance to see more than one unit earlier in your time in the Army. Along the same lines, getting into the scout track (if there is such a thing anymore) will get you more flight time than attack and the equipment will be more like what you will see in your anticipated civiilian employment.

1) If you are not already in peak physical condition start getting that way.
(2 Mi Run, Pushups, Situps) The Army's evaluations revolve around your PT score. All through training it is important to your class ranking. Your class rank decides what your choices are. transport, attack or fixed. If you want a fixed wing job after your hitch then track for fixed wing, VIP fixed wing gets to go to cooler assignments.
If it is all about rotor time time for you then go for Hawks.
Attack gets less time in the ac.
Try to get assigned Overseas when able. War = Flying.

There is site called APTAP, it has tons of information about who is hiring Army helo pilots, what their qualifications are, etc. My company has hired a bunch of Army helo drivers over the years, some with as low as 100 MEL. They all had no problem transitioning to the right seat of the DA-20. If you are an Army pilot who checked out as an AC, then you have great flying and thinking skills. You will find a job when you get out if you want to fly. But as stated above by Andy, don’t worry about that now, work one phase at a time. BTW, besides the PT mentioned above by RVSM practice folding your underwear in 3” X 3” squares, it is an important part of your training and class standing in WOCS.

Consider BCT a physical conditioning game. Get as tough and strong as you can. WOC is a mind game. Play the game and keeping your head. Only after you have been deemed worthy physically and mentally will the Army let you play with the cool toys.

jmp025 said:
Hello:
graduate from Embry-Riddle with fixed-wing commercial rating & 300TT.

This won't be a big handicap. Don't worry, they will beat that fixed-wing stuff out of you in no time.:)

Congrats and good luck
BCT is 9 weeks of pure suck, playing in the mud. Do what they tell you and you will be fine, after a couple of weeks you'll catch on. Just like the other guys have said, get in better shape before you go.
WOCS has changed recently, not so much about folding socks and making your bed anymore! It's still physical demanding however, again it will take a few weeks to catch on and you will, then its easy!
Flight school is the same way. Study what the instructors tell you and and learn all you can, your flying experience will help you.
All aircraft are flying in Iraq and Afgan. You will fly 3 - 4 times annual mins which is 140 hrs. I'm 300hrs in 4.5 months in Iraq in 64's. Black hawks prob. a little more.
If you know you only want 6 years of Army life, keep it to yourself till the very end of your career! Do your best, be the best officer and aviator you can be and then start the job hunt all over again!
Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your posts. I will work out before I go since phycial fitness seems to be the most important part.
Mr. Charlie, if I don't go to Iraq then I would only get 140hrs a year although I am going in as active-duty pilot not reserve? please let me know.
thank you all for your input. Please feel free to post any other thoughts.

Last edited:
The Army has a "semi-annual flying program", in the 64D its 70hrs min every 6 months which obviously adds up to 140 hrs/yr. That is the minimum you should fly. I averaged 200-250 hrs per year when not deployed. It all depends on the unit, maintenance, # of new pilots in the unit etc. Some guys fly more some less! If you get a year in a combat zone it will all equal out in the end!
Good luck
Chris

I definately agree with the guy who said "Keep your intentions to get out after 6 years to yourself". DO NOT act like you are just going to do this to fly, get your flight time, and then get a civi job. If you have that mindset you will be eaten alive, and get a bad name early.

Also don't act like an Embry Riddle know it all. You should probably try to not even let people know you have some flight experience when starting flight school. Play stupid and they will think you are a stud. I had 300hrs of FW time also when I started flight school. Initially I had an advantage, but flying a helicopter is a lot different. Instruments, and other aviation subjects will be a good review for you. It will introduce you to the Army way.

If you want the most flight time, I reccomend flying OH-58Ds (Bell 407). Plus you get to shoot things. Play the Army game, and keep your civilian ambitions to yourself. You might just decide the Army is for you.

I reccomend you volunteer to go to Korea right after flight school. You will be a PIC the quickest, and have a good time in a place where you can at least have a beer. You will have plenty of time to go to Iraq or somewhere else.

How much you fly in the Army is sometimes up to you, and sometimes not.

Desire to fly your ass off + Good Timing and Luck= "Alot of flight time"
Desire to fly your ass off + Bad Timing and Bad Luck= Mediocore Flight time
No Desire to fly your ass off+Bad Timing and Bad Luck= Low Flight Time

Don't sweat the flight time, as it is partially out of your hands.
Good Luck

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back