Army Rotor Pilots--I Need advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Pete,
Thank you for your input. I shall do as you recommend.
Can you tell me more about volunteering to Korea? I met few other Army aviators and they told me the samething.
Do they have more OH-58D in Korea?
Is OH-58D an attack helicopter?

Last edited:
Look it up on the net. The OH-58D is a scout helicopter, and attack pilot starter kit all in one. They are the ones really putting their balls out on the line, flying an un-armored, tiny aircraft at close range to any pee shooter around.

They do a lot of flying since they are the cheapest helicopter to operate, and their mission requires them to be out there trolling around, developing the situation, supporting the ground guys. Do your homework.

My one year in Korea was the best of my military career. Just imagine a night out with the guys, that lasts for a year, and that is what it is like. Fly hard, and party hard. There is one OH-58D unit in Korea. You will learn that the stateside Army really sucks, and being overseas is where it is at.

Anyways, don't worry about aircraft, flight hours, or duty stations yet. You have a lot more important things to worry about at the moment, like getting in shape, and striving to do your best always. Do the best you can, and let the chips fall where they may. As long as you know in your heart you gave it your all, you should have no regrets on anything. You have a lot to learn, just take it as it comes, and tackle one obstacle at a time.

One last thing...be humble in Basic about the fact that you are going to flight school, the NCOs there will probably give you enough sh&t about it.

Pistlpetet said:
Desire to fly your ass off + Bad Timing and Bad Luck= Mediocore Flight time

LOL sounds like my Army flying career...bad timing and bad luck. Where else can you be an "aviator" and fly 600 hours in 7 years (including flight school).

Seriously, congrats on getting accepted. Everyone else has beat the PT horse to death, so I'll leave that one alone. My advice: once you get to flight school, STUDY your arse off. Highest scores (written tests, checkrides, PT) get the most latitude in picking aircraft and duty assignments.

Seriously, if you're looking for flight time and a cool mission, I second Pete's motion of trying to get OH-58D's. Even before 9/11 these guys were flying around 400 hours a year.

Good luck.

Congrats on getting picked up.

Army Aviator: The most fun AND biggest pain of my life.

Say hello to Korea for me.

BCT. You're a college graduate. High school dropouts have been making it sisce the Civil War (or as I call it, the War of Northern Agression). You may well end up insome kind of peer leadership position (Squad Leader, etc.) because of your age and education. Resist the temptation to bitch and moan. You are going to be an officer, might as well start acting like it now. The PT goes without saying, so be ready for it.

WOCS. I have heard it has changed, and all I can say is GOOD.

WOFS. Don't be a know it all (soeone else covered it already. Re read it and write it on a rock!!!)

Congrats on the best decision in your life.

If you decide to stay in, go fixed wing :) OK, just kidding.

Latest resources

Back