• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are you Old School?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, yeah, Thuds are very cool. And as long as we are talking that era, Skyraiders (Spads, Sandys), those have raw power. Slow, very cool. Huge airplanes.

I'm old school. Some of the most fun I have had was flying an E-18 to Catalina Island and trying to clear the little runway before the DC-3 ran me over.
T-6 is another fun one I have a bunch of time in. To keep in line with what Gorilla says, the closest I have come to flying an F-86 is flying the T-33. I had a chance to fly the F-86, but would have had to pay for my LOA, and I was a starving instructor at the time. :(

These days I still fly a T-6 and tool around in an L-16, in addition to flying some whiny turbine thing.

If I ever win the Lotto, my dream is to build a full scale replica of a Boeing 314.

Definitely old school. I may be youngish but the best guys ive ever known with were ex Pan-Am guys that flew the seaplanes. 4 bars with an anchor on the uniform, master of ocean flying boats was the title. And the planes... 4 radial engines and no landing gear, no runways required. Those days are long gone too bad for us. would have loved to do that kind of flying. The Citation X is fast, but the highlight of my day is usually the restaurant at the end of the leg. Gimme dead reckoning across the Pacific, or picking my way through the South American jungles any day.

Last edited:
I love the old Lear 24/25. Ive managed to stay away from the shiny RJs thus far.

Ive never ever seen a glass cockpit in person....

Long live the old schoolers

What a Lear Jet without a glass cockpit. Our Lear Jet is all glass; there is glass bezel over every analog gauge.

I'm 24 if i end up having to stay a civilian, Ill be happy if I never have to sit in a jet again. The duece was the most boring flying I've ever done. I missed out on my dream job of flying a t-6 around to airshows and givings rides etc..because I didn't have enough tailwheel time:(

If i could find me a beech 18 to fly around for a year or two I'd be in heaven.

Long live pistons and heres to dreaming of radials and draggin tails.:beer:

Photoflight said:
I'm 24 if i end up having to stay a civilian, Ill be happy if I never have to sit in a jet again. The duece was the most boring flying I've ever done. I missed out on my dream job of flying a t-6 around to airshows and givings rides etc..because I didn't have enough tailwheel time:(

If i could find me a beech 18 to fly around for a year or two I'd be in heaven.

Long live pistons and heres to dreaming of radials and draggin tails.:beer:

There still out there to be had.....just very few and far between if your tryin to get paid to fly one

Got to ride in a B-17, jumped out through the bomb bay doors around 7000', just about the coolest old school thing I can think of... (I guess I could have worn a round chute, but I am not that brave) Number 2 on the list would be jumping the DC-3 a few times, the ride was always so much better than the jumps.

CE402 said:
I am probably in a minority here, but I like tend to like the following things about aviation:

1. Old Piston Airliners (DC series, Connie)
2. Old Turboprop Airliners (Viscount, Britannia, Electra)
3. Planes with flight engineers
4. NDBs
5. Planes that make a lot of noise
6. Planes that make a lot of smoke
7. Round analog dials

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but I'm only 40ish and I've been like this since I started flying as a teenager....haven't changed a bit. I see these new pictures in magazines of cockpits that look like the TV wall at Best Buy and I don't get excited, I just get kind of sad about it. Is there anyone else out there with this disease?

I like everything on your list except for NDB's, all they're good for is listening to AM radio stations

I wouldn't want to go so far as to say I'm "old school" because frankly I'm not that old. But I can say that I've got more of an affinity with the steam gauges and the more vintage models than with the glass of today. Granted, some of those new planes nowadays are pretty sleek looking and all of the info up front makes situational awareness a breeze. But there's no way to beat the majesty and dare I say it the sexiness of an old warbird like a Mustang or a Corsair or a Phantom. I've got a couple of flights logged in a Lear 25, and I remember feeling like the Coyote with an ACME rocket strapped to my butt. Believe me, everyone takes notice when those suckers take off. As for the glass stuff, I'm no more advanced than the IFR GPS that graces many panels nowadays. Get me in front of a G1000 or a Honewell Primus and I'll just sit there scratching my head. I remember the last sim check I took in a Lear 35 which had just gotten an FMS installed. The captain and I just looked at it, looked at eachother, shrugged, and did everything "the hard way" because we couldn't even get the dumb thing to turn on.

I can also say I'm part of a dying breed because I still carry my FE cert in my pocket. It was only 8 months on the panel of a 727, but it was some great experience. I hope that someday I'll be able to use the FE ticket again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back