• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are you Old School?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just chiming in with a resounding agreement! My first old bird trip was in a Beech 18.

I was lucky enough to go get my tailwheel endorsement in a PT17 Stearman. Open cockpit, radial engine...what a joy.

I did steep turns in that Stearman around Jack Nicklaus putting in front of a large crowd on one of his new greens north of IND! I wonder if he remembers.

Even the old jets are more fun to watch. You can tell that an older B-52 or a F-4 went by 30 minutes after they passed!

W

If I could get the same pay, I would only fly Cubs, Champs, Stearmans, Travelaires, (The ones with 2 wings.) Wacos, maybe a Pitts or two. If the weather was bad, like maybe it might rain, maybe a Staggerwing. If the weather was really bad, like I might accidentally get in a cloud, a twin beech, DC-3, or C-46. If the weather was really, REALLY bad, like I was going to have to fly an approach, I'd just have to cancel the trip and have a beer. With a few exceptions, I wouldn't fly anything made after 1945, and the fewer dials, buttons and knobs, the better.

Anybody know where I can find a job like that?

coloneldan said:
If I could get the same pay, I would only fly Cubs, Champs, Stearmans, Travelaires, (The ones with 2 wings.) Wacos, maybe a Pitts or two. If the weather was bad, like maybe it might rain, maybe a Staggerwing. If the weather was really bad, like I might accidentally get in a cloud, a twin beech, DC-3, or C-46. If the weather was really, REALLY bad, like I was going to have to fly an approach, I'd just have to cancel the trip and have a beer. With a few exceptions, I wouldn't fly anything made after 1945, and the fewer dials, buttons and knobs, the better.

Anybody know where I can find a job like that?

I know one, it's called retirement!

Save me a spot if you get there ;)

OK, I'll agree, radial engines are very cool, but how can an F-86 NOT be romantic? The F-86 is almost a contemporary to the great WW2 piston fighters. Jets can have character and appeal as well.

Gorilla,
I was thinking about what you wrote. I tried to think of the last time I saw a sexy jet. A really cool jet. Not a techno wonder that flys itself.

Still thinking. The sea dart is as close as I can get.
Maybe the Seamaster, Actually, definitely the Seamaster. F-104??

sky37d said:
Gorilla,
I was thinking about what you wrote. I tried to think of the last time I saw a sexy jet. A really cool jet. Not a techno wonder that flys itself.

I'd say it's hard to beat the Phantom for that. A raw beast. No tricks til later on. Just guts and fantastic lines.

W

sky37d said:
Gorilla,

So the Sabre doesn't do it for you? I've talked to a lot of F-86 pilots who have also flown many other aircraft. I cannot think of ONE who didn't say something like "The Sabre is the best handling aircraft I have ever flown, of any type."

Those early turbines were every bit as persnickety as any piston engine. As for flying themselves, the military fighters have primitive autopilot systems at best. The space, weight, and $$ is put into weapons, not automation. Most mil fighters have autopilots that are not as good as many IFR 172's. The challenge is employing them, not flying a x-country.

To each his own. Some guys think anything newer than WW1 biplanes are not cool. About the only class of aircraft that does nothing for me are the ones we are all flying for the airlines. :(

i worked for Delta between '98 and '02 in DEN. during that time they brought their old DC-3 (the first one that DAL owned) out to the station one day as part of a promotional thing, and they had a drawing for the employees to go out for a 20 min flight. i was one of the lucky ones that got to go for that ride. it was THE MOST memorable event in my 'aviation' life (next to getting my PPL ticket). they made us put on the hospital bootie things over our shoes before we could get even step on board! there is nothing in the world like the sound of those engines and nothing like feel of taking off and landing in it...it was truly and experience that i will never, ever forget...here's to the oldies!!

Dubya said:
I'd say it's hard to beat the Phantom for that. A raw beast. No tricks til later on. Just guts and fantastic lines.

W

I say the phantom and the Thud are tied in the raw beast category.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back