• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are you Old School?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flying freight in the twin beech brought me the best years of my life so far...
round engines are an aphrodesiac...

Catnhat said:
I'm 40ish also, and I couldn't agree more. I read all the threads here with guys talking about how they are better pilots because the airplane they fly is bigger or faster than the one someone else flies. I couldn't care less. I just like to fly, and some of the best flights I have had are at 6 or 8 thousand feet at 160kts. I have had the chance to fly a C-46 over the Carribean on a starlight night with the exhaust stacks glowing and the moon reflecting off the water. I'll take another night like that over any flight in a corporate jet at .8 mach and 40,000'. But that's just me, and I'm sure a few other guys who have felt the difference.

Cat,

You must be my long lost twin seperated at birth!

I am a oldie freak! I saw a DC-8 take off the other day and actually had to delay my departure to take a video of it from my digital camera. Two weeks ago there was a P-51 fly in at my home airport. My boss wondered what I was doing at work on a weekend. I told him how that Merlin sound was the ONLY engine sound that makes me get goosebumps, and after staring at me in shock for a moment, kind of understood.

I currently fly 30 year old airplanes and love every minute of it! I have a few friends flying for the regionals who wonder why I didn't go airlines. After I tell them about the 5x salary I make compared to them and the fact that I enjoy actually flying instead of pushing buttons, they sort of get it. Not to mention 90% of my time is PIC instead of all SIC.

I keep telling people that I hated flying the Citation, as it was SO boring. The only reason I'd do it again is for the fact that is has a higher salary within my company. But give me round engines anytime, many back country strips, and I'm content!

... when the DC3 pulls up and spews an oily mixture out of it's engines Now that's cool. ...
That's not an "oily mixture" -- that's Doug honey!

Like I tell all the "shiney jet" fans; there's no romance to an engine that whines. On engine start, you have a sense of satisfaction when starting a large radial engine on a cold night with nary a backfire or beltch. The same can't be said for pressing a start button and bringing a fuel lever up at 15%.

I'm old school and proud of it. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the Pima Air Museum in Tucson - if those airplanes could only talk. I used to spend a lot of time in Kingman AZ. There was a time when you could walk out in the "back 40" and kick up all sorts of stuff out laying in the weeds from the days that they used the airport to scrap out a bunch of WWII aircraft. I also get progressively more irratated with the unlimited air racing crowd that chops up and races the vintage WWII aircraft. They're not making those airplanes any more and it's a shame to see them clipping the wings of the few that remain. What's the point? Oh well.

'Sled

I luv round motors and clouds of oily smoke, but I've got to break up this love fest. Overstressed recips do NOT appeal to my sense of self preservation as it relates to my career. I'd love to have a T6 or D17 for fun, but for the everyday - make the schedule- career, I think that I'll stick to round motors that burn Jet A. My goal is to retire, healthy, at age 60; and statistically, turbine powered modern airframes offer the best chance to reach that goal.

I'm old school by default, I STILL fly an F-27.

I was talking to a Fed the other day. When talking about the F27, he said
he'd flown in one once, and it scared the hell out of him. I never noticed.

Here's to old school.

:beer:

CE

I like all airplanes. I've never "not enjoyed" an airplane. Though I do really love the loud whine of old turbojet engines as they spool up.

pilotyip said:
C402, you will see in my profile I have flown most of the stuff you list, the DC series, the Electra, flown with engineers, lots of round engine time and I like you have the disease. However I get to live my dream and will be flying a C-47 (DC-3) to Oshkosh next month.

That's really too bad you couldn't make it this month. There's a big airshow there, you might want to look into it and adjust your plans accordingly. It's a pretty neat show, and if you're going to be flying a DC-3 to OSH, that'd be a good time to go. Let me know if you put the floats on it and make it out to the seaplane base, you'll be an even bigger hit.

Lilah

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back