Are you old enough to fly?

KQRdr

Total Time
6000+
Ever heard that one from a boarding pax?

There were some good replies to a "small airplane" comment on the other thread.

The plane I fly is big enough for them I guess, but I am relatively young for my airline and look even younger. So I'm often caught with my pants down by a smart a$$ pax on a jetway full of people.

Any good comebacks....

flyer172r

Total Time
"If you don't want me to fly, you're welcome to give it a try"

Instigator

Total Time
"Usually not on a school night, but I have a note from my mom that says its ok today."

flybrowntails

Total Time
1000 +
was in similar shoes once--

my retort was "i am on an internship. its really cool-they let me fly from the left seat and everything." (while giving my biggest opie smile)

times have changed and unfort. so have i :)

fbt

PeanuckleCRJ

Hurrrrrrrr
Total Time
mucho
"Yeah my mom said I could come play captain here today!"
"My xbox broke so I got one of these instead. :)"

I'm 24....flew with a guy that's 20 last month that looks even younger. Musta looked really funny.

A couple weeks ago I walked on the airplane and was getting things set up. I was talking to the FA..told her how long the flight was going to be... did my usual briefing and meet and greet. About 10 minutes later she walks in and goes "when is the captain going to get here?"

"huh... oh... he's gonna be a bit late, I'm just warming up his seat."

A few minutes later she's like..sorry.. I didn't realize captains could be so young. "it's all good.... remember 4 stripes equals the overpaid loser."

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Total Time
"gotta do something till I turn 16!"

I'm there with you. I've got a young face...most people put me at 20, the highest guess has been 22...the lowest 18 (I'm 25). It's usually not from our regulars, but when we have the rare charter trip, it's a pain in the arse. Some people don't say anything, but you can tell they are thinking it. Either way, you gotta be very professional and then they will begin to respect you.

Flyer1015

Total Time
Moola
KQRdr said:
Ever heard that one from a boarding pax?

There were some good replies to a "small airplane" comment on the other thread.

The plane I fly is big enough for them I guess, but I am relatively young for my airline and look even younger. So I'm often caught with my pants down by a smart a$$ pax on a jetway full of people.

Any good comebacks....

Come on! Standard answer to questions like these.

Pax: Are you old enough to fly?

Pilot: No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

iahawkeye

Total Time
>1000
Are you old enough to fly?

Nope, its take your children to work day!

Clyde

Total Time
4000+
"I start drivers ed next week."

blzr

Total Time
I pled youthful offender for DUI, and this is my community service.

Pilot877

Banned
Total Time
~3500
I used to get that a lot in the 402, you could see turds like that from a mile away. They always wanted to ride up in the front and be the "co-pilot", too. The satisfying solution was to put their wife in the front right seat, and their beer in the nice hot wing locker. I hope they thought of me when they opened them up in the Bahamas.

Last edited:

chrisdahut24

Total Time
1500+
Pilot877 said:
I used to get that a lot in the 402, you could see turds like that from a mile away. They always wanted to ride up in the front and be the "co-pilot", too. The satisfying solution was to put their wife in the front right seat, and their beer in the nice hot wing locker. I hope they thought of me when they opened them up in the Bahamas.

So....do you want to be a commerical pilot some day?

flagshipper

Total Time
I am 22 but most would say I look 18 so My most common reply is that it is fine as long I get home before the street lights come on. Wait a minute, I am back in cargo now so my bloodshot eyes and 11 oclock shadow make me look a lot older so what am I doing posting here again. Regionals suck. Sorry

wahoo250

Total Time
If you pay more money they wont pick people up on the corner everyday to pick up the empty slots.

Flyingdutchman

Total Time
today?
(old enough to fly?)

I love that question. I alway answer: "well, no. But please don't tell anyone!"

I upgraded at 20 (BE-20) My sic was 45. :)
Or I love it when the line guys say captain to my f/o.. It's all good with me! you do the paperwork and stuff, I'll be inside reading my newspaper and drinking coffee. :)

FD

Pilot877

Banned
Total Time
~3500
chrisdahut24 said:
So....do you want to be a commerical pilot some day?

You know it, buddy.....that one is up there with some of my other Cessna 402 favorites: "Where is the flight attendant?", "What is the movie of the day", and "Where is my inflight meal?"

Then, when you move up to an RJ, you get to hear passengers complain about how it is a puddle jumper.

To top it all off, if I tell people that I fly cargo in a DC-10, they ask me if I ever want to move up to flying passengers!! Nowadays, it just makes me laugh. On the other hand, people probably get most of their knowledge about what we do from bad movies and television programs, so most of them are clueless.

exchexflyer

Total Time
Pilot877 said:
On the other hand, people probably get most of their knowledge about what we do from bad movies and television programs, so most of them are clueless.

I will add irresponsible reporting.