Are they a major or regional pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dk33497 said:
This is not about egos, or who has how much time, or who flew where.

Ego's?

You mean all these guys that have pictures of their aircraft under their username. What a bunch of Ego bastards. Hey wait, nevermind. It was my old plane but I like the picture

Last edited:
I would say they are airline pilots. Hopefully they will set the new industry standard in regional pay.

As a group, we really ALL need to just "get over" this whole "caste system" of "greater" and "lesser" aviators. It serves neither us nor the profession.

If you're flying an "airliner," keeping your passengers safe, it really doesn't matter whether there are 50 passengers aboard or 250. We've probably all gone through essentially the same kinds of training and experiences to bring us to this point, and we're pretty much all entitled to call ourselves "airline pilots."

I mean, doesn't the whole idea of "major" and "regional," which WE help to perpetuate, play right into the hands of some pretty slimy management types, whose whole outdated business model pretty much DEPENDS on being able to pay slave wages to one group of "have not" pilots, while using the existence and expansion of the "regional" system as a bargaining chip in negotiations with the "have" pilots?

"Professional aviator" should pretty much transcend "labels" like regional and major, especially nowadays, when the level of sophistication of the equipment and the almost total "sameness" of the actual JOB being done by each group take pretty much all the wind out of ANY argument that one group is inherently "superior" to the other.

Last edited:
equal is equal

Now that I am back from my 9 day stint in DelRio letting students try to kill me in a new creative way every day I get to read what my short, not-intended-to-be-harmful post did. I was originally just making an observation (not agreeing or disagreeing with the way the post was going) that this thread would get heated very shortly.

I agree with Rob and xherc:

Pilots are pilots. No one way was tougher than the other. It sucked being sent hither and yon at the whim of some higher up. I'm more than positive that it sucked getting paid nothing to work long hours flying. In the end we are all doing the same thing for the same pay (roughly) and we might as well get off our soapboxes and get along.

See ya in DAL or DEN or wherever I end up.

Slug
pilotus fraternus

Slug,

My hat is off to you too.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Those USAir pilots, of course, are airline pilots.

We all are.

Management must clap their hands with glee to see us fight. They win every time we do each other in.

The marketplace has been deciding what we fly. Not the pilots. Passengers have never gotten over the look and sound of a prop out their window. The RJ is "industry evolution". The customer gets what the customer wants.

We must evolve as a profession also. We can only do that if we work together. Those who went before us expect us to preserve this profession for those who will go after us.

We will never do that by degrading each other. We are all good pilots. We all have worked hard. There will be no winners when we fight each other. There will only be losers.

What is the point of that?

Be Professional. Fly Safe. Thanks for all who thoughtfully posted.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back