• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DenverDude2002

Ramp Rat
Hey everyone,
Its been a while since I was on here. Anyways, I'm flying from Denver-Corpus Christi TX via DFW on American Airlines/American Eagle in 3 weeks and my gf is new down there (we actualy met online a long time ago and I'm going to see her for the first time) and doesnt know her way around, so I am going to take my Magellan Meridian handheld GPS system with me for us to use while I'm there. Its a small cell phone sized gps used for mostly hiking but also has maps on it. Is this going to be a problem if I carry it with me as a carryon? I dont trust it in checked baggage. I dont plan on using it until I get to texas. Also can anyone recommend any places in Dallas Ft Worth that I could get food in a 50 min connection?

Thanks,

-Andy

You will not have a problem at all with taking the GPS. I would not be concerned about it.

The food court at DFW is decent, a few hotels at the airport that have rather good food so take your pick.

Au revoir,

3 5 0

Thanks for the advice 350. As for going out to a hotel, wont have time. I'll be connecting from an MD80 to an ERJ, and if i remember correctly, it takes about 25-35 mins to get to those gates on B. At least i got 14A on that ERJ-145 to relax and eat :D

You are welcome, yeah you will enjoy a nice scenic walk through the terminal.:D The food court there really is not all that bad so you should be fine. I may be going through there for new years connecting.

Have a good trip,

3 5 0

I've actually had a passenger come up and ask at the gate if it was ok if he used his handheld in the back to track our flight. I was cool with it, he was a fellow G/A pilot and produced the credentials to prove it. Gave him all the waypoints and he thanked us after the flight for doing so. It thought it was pretty cool, but I did not think you could pick up adaquate signals from that little window.

Ya, the new GPS systems are pretty amazing. I dont know much about Garmins, but the Magellan series has a dang good antenna. when I drive I leave it in my cupholder, and even in mountain canyons, never loose any signal.

DenverDude2002 said:
Ya, the new GPS systems are pretty amazing. I dont know much about Garmins, but the Magellan series has a dang good antenna. when I drive I leave it in my cupholder, and even in mountain canyons, never loose any signal.

There's no problem bringing the GPS with you in carry on luggage, but you won't be allowed to use it in flight. That's the rule on all aircraft, since it might interfere with the aircraft's GPS.

Try the BBQ joint that's around A18 at DFW. Good stuff. It's near the TrAAin station that will take you to the Eagle RJ gates in B Terminal.

Hey thanks for all the advice guys. Eagle RJ, you know whos going to be flying flight 3627 on 1/15/04? If you do tell them the person in 14A is a real fan and would like to say hi to them after the flight.

GPS in carion? Better flight tracking for vultures through improved technology.

It's hard on the beak.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back