Are Clearing Turns A Waste Of Time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi...

In addition to the other posts, here's my $.02.

If during a flight test with a perspective candidate they neglect to at least mention the intention of a clearing turn, I would consider this a safety of flight issue. Also, when speaking of clearing turns I like to mention §91.113, Right of Way Rules.

In which direction do most initiate the first clearing turn? Who knows...but I think it's important to consider overtaking aircraft.
If an aircraft is overtaking you, they shall pass on your right from behind staying well clear. If you decide to make your first turn to the right, that may become a less than perfect flight. Food for thought.

Regards

Hey I see nobody addresses this issue to clearing turns in regards to the possible other aircraft in the area. I completely agree that it may help you to see another aircraft, but it also exposes more surface area of your aircraft in a turn to a possible oncoming craft. How many times were you informed of traffic,most likely in the pattern, and only caught visual contact when the aircraft was banking? I have many times. Remember clearing turns are not only for your safety of you seeing other aircraft, it also is for the safety of other aircraft seeing you!!

homebrew said:
Hey I see nobody addresses this issue to clearing turns in regards to the possible other aircraft in the area. I completely agree that it may help you to see another aircraft, but it also exposes more surface area of your aircraft in a turn to a possible oncoming craft. How many times were you informed of traffic,most likely in the pattern, and only caught visual contact when the aircraft was banking? I have many times. Remember clearing turns are not only for your safety of you seeing other aircraft, it also is for the safety of other aircraft seeing you!!

Very good point!! Hadn't looked at it that way before.

well

Clearing turns a must over lake apopka when the weather is nice and every one is out and about.

always offier them to the examiner on the check ride , it is one way of slowing down the process so you can think.:cool:

Only in a simulator! Can't buy the farm in the sim, however most likely will bust the checkride. Do them all the time and you won't go wrong. Remember the concept behind VFR, "see and avoid."

On the subject of traffic avoidance...When I took my CFI checkride, the examiner recommended that I fly at odd altitudes such as 3,250 ft or 2,700 ft. Most other aircraft will be flying at a altitude that is a 500 ft increment so you'll avoid 90% of the traffic unless they are climbing or descending. Of course, if everyone does this it defeats the purpose.

I find that student pilots should notperform clearing turns while taxiing.

Sorry... I had to throw that one in there.

Skyking:D

Last edited:
A note: I saw lots of students do non-clearing turns. They were so buys making a couple of nice turns that they didn't actually look for anything. The entire Bolivian Air Force could have been information with us and the student wouldn't catch it because s/he was trying to keep the ball centered.

If you're going to make those turns--and you should--keep your 20/20 Chuck Yeagers outside while you're doing them!

Are there any regulations (FARs) or official recommendations (FAA Orders, ACs and so on) that specifically talks about clearing turns?

Latest resources

Back