Are airlines headed for bankruptcy again?

jmreii

Total Time

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Total Time
Done!
United looks they're up against the ropes. How's the going to affect CJC if UAL goes bankrupt?

Speedtape

Total Time
enough
I doubt the government will allow any large carrier, which has major impact on the economy, to fail--especially with the present state of the economy and the long distance recovery.

Speedtape

Total Time
enough
Actually, had the government stayed out of the way in the post 9/11 meltdown, a few of the carriers who had strong balance sheets would not have gone into bankruptcy. One particular airline that has a presence in ATL is the best example! Their liquidity was siphoned down the drain due to government protection of at least one airline that should have failed--and maybe will yet.

CFI2766

Total Time
I doubt the government will allow any large carrier, which has major impact on the economy, to fail--especially with the present state of the economy and the long distance recovery.

I believe that the only airline that would get any government help would be United, for obvious reasons. Ironic, in that United seems to be the one most commonly spoken of to need government help.

Otherwise, I believe that there is quite a bit of bailout 'fatigue' in the general electorate.

WalterSobchak

Am I wrong?
Total Time
40+/wk
I believe that the only airline that would get any government help would be United, for obvious reasons.
I kinda get the same feeling. I think UAL is safe at least through 2012. Maybe they can get rid of Tilton, et al. in that time.

CX880

Total Time
I think the only airline that will actually file bankruptcy will be Mesa. Looking at their finances I don't think they'll come out of it unless they make big changes. Plus more importantly the market needs a regional or two to go away, there's too much capacity.

Browntothebone

Total Time
-
I think the only airline that will actually file bankruptcy will be Mesa. Looking at their finances I don't think they'll come out of it unless they make big changes. Plus more importantly the market needs a regional or two to go away, there's too much capacity.

With RAH transforming itself from a regional to a major, their will be one less regional to overcapacitize the market.

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Total Time
Done!
Fail? No. Get bought out...why not?

Although, with the current administration, everyone knows where to go for 'free' handouts.

ifly4u

Total Time
Thanks brown, you just reminded me that I had intended to put you on my ignore list.