• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are Airline Pilots Heavily in Debt??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in the early 90's I had been working as an engineer for a couple of different companies when I decided that if I continued in that career I would wind up in a loony bin. I quit and went to flight school full time to pursue an aviation career. If someone had told me what would transpire over the next couple of decades I still would have borrowed the money (20K) to do what I did. It was an easy choice considering I was single with no debt and hardly a care in the world. Borrowing a 100k to do this job does seem kind of crazy unless you have the money to blow.

Now that I have a family to support it would be a little different. As someone said before, this is a great job but a sh***y industry.

As far as debt goes, I have noticed that a lot of guys get themselves into trouble after making it to major airline jobs. This isn't merely a problem with our industry, this is nationwide. I know so many that spend more than they make.

I like Dave Ramsay's philosophy and used it myself to get out of debt accrued after my previous airline went into BK and eventually out of business. It took me four years after starting my new job to rid myself of 19k in credit card debt (I paid for the wedding myself......remember one word...elope) and 15k on autos. It wasn't easy.

Dave Ramsay says, "don't buy stuff you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't even really like."

I thought Aldi was the best....

Then I found Costco.

My financial strategy is to live on a budget of 2/3 of my salary, i.e

If you make 60K, budget and spend like you make 40K. Yes, it means a smaller home and car, and not a lot of toys, but in the long run it will pay off.

got the big picture

I thought Aldi was the best....

Then I found Costco.

My financial strategy is to live on a budget of 2/3 of my salary, i.e

If you make 60K, budget and spend like you make 40K. Yes, it means a smaller home and car, and not a lot of toys, but in the long run it will pay off.
Living below your means really make it easy

Latest resources

Back