Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NEDude

yada yada yada
Anybody know of a website that lists FAA approved perscription medications. I was told the FAA site had it but can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

Ned,

The FAA does not approve medications, per se. Any given medication must be considered in conjunction with the reason for which it is taken. A medication of itself may have no adverse side affects in the general population, but in most cases the condition for which the medication is taken is a grounding item.

An over the counter medication such as sudafed may be acceptable, or a certain version of the drug may be acceptable. However, the condition for which it's taken, nasal congestion for example, may be very dangerous in flight. You may alleviate the symptomatic presentation of the condition, but not necessarily the condition. In other words, you'll feel fine, up until your sinus implodes while in a descent.

(I can tell you from personal experience that the pain is exquisite, and unbelievable from this particular condition, having been hospitalized on one occasion, and made deaf for a month on another).

Follow the following link for some general information on medications. Explore the links on this site, too. There is some good information on the subject.

http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

FAA-"approved" meds

I agree with Avbug. However, you can use certain prescription meds and still fly. Check out the website that Avbug recommended. You can also call AOPA; it gives excellent, confidential advice. Do NOT ask your friendly AME. The AME is the FAA's industrial physician and, as such, does not have your interests in mind.

I heard from an instructor once that tobacco, caffeine, and aspirin were the only drugs you could take and go flying immediately afterwords...

Then claritin came around and offered no side effects at all, but I'm not sure if thats allowed...

The safe way is to not take anything...Wait till your not sick, cause any illness, no matter how small it is here on the ground will get worse as you climb

Latest resources

Back