Approaches at JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
What? Do you think A320's are the only airplanes with FMS's, GPS's, Vert Speed or FPA, VNAV or PROF? Honeywell does a lotta other business, ya know. :)

Don't think he made that comment as in insult...
I mean... really... the A320 is state of the art... in 1985!!!

Here's one Airbus unique thing though..

Ground Speed Mini....

I still have to look it up to figure out what its doing!

Tailwinds to you...

8vATE said:
Here's one Airbus unique thing though..

Ground Speed Mini....

Hmmmm... that sounds like the Minimum Groundspeed method we used to handle LLWS on approach back when I was flying ... oh, nevermind. :)

jetbluedog said:
ILS - Cat IIIB (Although I have yet to shoot one in real life - been drilled in the sim.)

God help me if I have to fly an NDB in my airbus!!

VOR/RNAV have been done, but not frequently

Actually not a problem, it is completely managed. just like an RNAV. Except you monitor the ADF instead of the Nav accuracy. It will even compute a vertical descent path and start down all on it own.

TonyC said:
Hmmmm... that sounds like the Minimum Groundspeed method we used to handle LLWS on approach back when I was flying ... oh, nevermind. :)

Nope, not a "method" or procedure. It's actually a kind of software (or maybe a hard wired computer) that maintains a minimum groundspeed on all approaches (in LLWS or Normal ops) assuming you have not manually selected an airspeed.

And what does "back when I was flying" mean? FedEx FE right? No flame, just curious.

C yaaaa

Last edited:
I heard that at JetBlue, they discourage you guys/gals from any hand flying......any truth? Just curious.

TonyC said:
No, it was back when I had two Navs. :)
Reminds me of a joke from back in 'Nam. . .
"Two Nav's walk into the Randolf AFB base operations building. . . ."
Ahhhh, those were the days. . . .

TonyC wrote:
What? Do you think A320's are the only airplanes with FMS's, GPS's, Vert Speed or FPA, VNAV or PROF? Honeywell does a lotta other business, ya know.

Sorry Tony. Didn't mean to offend, if I did. I was in hurry, and didn't really pay as much attention to my remarks as I should have. I actually have worked at Honeywell (representing the USAF) on a KC-10 FMS mod -- I know Honeywell does a lot of work all over the industry.

I guess the only Airbus specific stuff I mentioned is the use of the terms "Managed" versus "Selected" -- then again, I may be wrong. However, when I flew the 757/767 at US Airways, we didn't use those terms, neither do we use them in the KC-10.

Didn't mean to be so provincial.

I heard that at JetBlue, they discourage you guys/gals from any hand flying......any truth? Just curious.

Actually, not nearly as much as they did when I flew the plane at US Airways. At that company, we were not even allowed to turn off the autothrust, and were encouraged to fly as fully automated as possible.

At JetBlue, we are encouraged to use the automation as much as possible in busy environments -- arriving/departing places like JFK, BOS, LGB. Also, we are encouraged to use it in bad weather or in areas of high terrain during IMC/night.

However, there many times when I'm flying when the autopilot is still off well into the climb to cruise, or fairly early in the descent. And, at JetBlue, I can (and do) turn off the autothrust on many approaches.

Not too restrictive -- just when it makes sense, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back