• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Approaches at JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So how do you guys at Jetblue do an approach like say the LOC 27 at San Diego? LOC / VS or the LOC and TRK / FPA mode? Dive and drive or constant angle descent?

How do you turn off the autothrust? I thought the 320's throttles didn't move? (I've got to learn this stuff since I'm hovering over the phone for when Virgin America calls... :rolleyes: )TC

AA717driver said:
How do you turn off the autothrust? I thought the 320's throttles didn't move? (I've got to learn this stuff since I'm hovering over the phone for when Virgin America calls... :rolleyes: )TC

Each thrust lever has a disconnect button. You are correct, they do not move automatically, but they will move if you physically push or pull them. The technique is to retard them to match an indicator dot on the EPR gauge, then push the disconnect button, then they are in manual mode. If you just push the button without retarding them first, hold on! There is also a Master Switch for AutoThrust on the FCU panel (MCP if you are a Boeing driver).

Hope that helped.

C yaaa

Last edited:
AA717driver said:

When the autothrust is active, the thrust levers stay in the climb detent, and they don't move. But when you turn off the autothrust (there are several ways to do it), then the thrust levers act like the way you'd expect. The Airbus is weird, but not that weird.

The A-320 power levers do move, from idle to TOGA, however, along the way are a few detents. In essence it goes Idle to CLIMB with first detent at CLIMB, next detent is FLEX/MCT and finally TOGA which is the stop at the top.

The A/THR do not have a motor that move the powerlevers when power changes occur and while that may seem eerie at first, it soon becomes second nature.

The autothrust can certainly be deactivated, in which case it works just like normal powerlevers.

Last edited:
Mugs said:
So how do you guys at Jetblue do an approach like say the LOC 27 at San Diego? LOC / VS or the LOC and TRK / FPA mode? Dive and drive or constant angle descent?

if the wx is not all the way down to mins...it is easier to do rnav/gps 27 ...it is a much more "friendly" approach with less than the 3.5 degree fpa on the loc27...great for visuals too

Latest resources

Back