• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Approach segments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Initial, intermediate, final and missed?

It's been a long time since I've had to answer it, so I could be wrong..... (I usually am)

Here 'ya go...from the FARs:

§97.3 Symbols and terms used in procedures.

(c) Approach procedure segments for which altitudes (all altitudes prescribed are minimum altitudes unless otherwise specified) or courses, or both, are prescribed in procedures, are as follows:

(1) Initial approach is the segment between the initial approach fix and the intermediate fix or the point
where the aircraft is established on the intermediate course or final approach course.

(2) Initial approach altitude means the altitude (or altitudes, in High Altitude Procedures) prescribed for the initial approach segment of an instrument approach.

(3) Intermediate approach is the segment between the intermediate fix or point and the final approach fix.

(4) Final approach is the segment between the final approach fix or point and the runway, airport, or missed-approach point.

(5) Missed approach is the segment between the missed-approach point, or point of arrival at decision height, and the missed-approach fix at the prescribed altitude.

Hope this helps.

JD:cool:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back