Approach Briefing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FLYHY

I'm getting ready to interview with a few regionals. Up to now, I have used NOAA charts for Part 91 ops. How do you brief an approach for 121? Any formats would help!

Just remember to keep a briefing brief in real life operations. Nothing too safe about a captain droning on about capturing the 223 radial outbound to the XXXX fix and holding, left pattern, etc, etc when it's clear and a million. I pay more attention to Charlie Brown's teacher.

labbats said:
Just remember to keep a briefing brief in real life operations. Nothing too safe about a captain droning on about capturing the 223 radial outbound to the XXXX fix and holding, left pattern, etc, etc when it's clear and a million. I pay more attention to Charlie Brown's teacher.

They are not looking for you to reinvent the wheel. BRIEF the approach like YOU brief an approach. They are not looking for a special remix of the original. Only tip I would give, they like when you tell them what the highest obstacle is on the approach plate. Remember that BIG BLACK arrow? Point it out!

Good Luck

Just read left to right from the top of briefing chart. Read the header first ex. "Ok I am looking at the ILS 26R Atlanta, Georgia, 11-2 dated 06 Oct 05. Do you concur?" Or just tell them you would verify that the captain is looking at the same chart as you by using some sort of verbage as above.

Good point by BoDean about the largest obstacle. Another thing you want to mention is tell them the time from the FAF to the missed approach point, runway, etc. Remember the little grid on the left just below the plan view.

Remember to take you time and read all the notes on the chart. Take your time before jumping into briefing it. Review the chart first to make sure there isn't anything unusual your not used to. Jepps are easier to read than NOS charts as well.

Remember take your time and brief it like you would normally do!

Good Luck!

In 121 operations after a while, you will become familiar enough with alot of the aproaches you do that approach briefings will sound like a broken record. "Okay, ILS 27R, chart index blah blah, dated blah blah, localizer freq is such and such, course is XXX, top is this, bottom is this, missed is this, and so on. It is very easy to just start reading it off without really thinking about it, and in some cases, all that chatter about frequency and stepdowns is kinda silly. I'm not condoning just glazing over these details, but be sure to consider and place some emphasis on the details of that particular approach for those particular conditions. What is the braking action? What kind of condition will the turnoff be in (as in, will the high speed turnoff be a mess and we oughta be pretty close to taxi-speed before we leave the centerline)? Will we need to hold short of a parallel runway immediately after clearing? What if we need to miss, will it be just runway heading to 3000 or will we have to actually fly whatever complex procedure is published and how will we set that up? Do we have any MEL's that affect how we will do this approach and landing? Will that MD-80 in front of us use the entire runway or will the Airbus clear quickly? What about the guy behind us, will we need to clear quickly? When we actually break out, where will the runway be, right in front of us on an ILS, or at an angle? Will there be a few runways to confuse us, lets not land on the wrong one? Things like that. Even if you don't actually verbalize all of these things in your briefing, you oughta be thinking about these things.

Anybody can just read off the Jepp briefing strip, and you certainly do need to do that, but considering the other things is just as, if not more important. And if we are talking about a job interview situation, I think that mentioning things like that would be pretty impressive and sharp.

One guy I flew with was the ultimate in standarized operations as one of the lead check airmans. Everything was done according to the FOM and AOM including thorough briefings. Going into Newark, it's clear and a million with airport clearly in site and approach gives us a last minute runway switch. He starts freaking out about how the approach hasn't been briefed. I swore if it was most guys you would thought the airplane was on fire. L-O-O-S-E-R. Another relatively senior check airman I flew with had a different briefing when I was EWR based. Part of it was "Do you know how to fly the Newark 7 Departure?" Me: "Yes". "Do you know how to fly an ILS into Newark?" Me: "Yes". Good, half of our briefings are complete.

jrav8tor said:
Just read left to right from the top of briefing chart. Read the header first ex. "Ok I am looking at the ILS 26R Atlanta, Georgia, 11-2 dated 06 Oct 05. Do you concur?
Do most 121 carriers require briefing the date of the plate?

This airplane--- That Runway ---- Dont F*$# it UP!!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back