• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Approach Briefing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Engine out procedures are good to review if your company has special ones. I find that sometimes the FO's who complain the most about briefing something actually don't know the procedure.

So you can be lazy, but you had better still know what's going on.

pianoman said:
Engine out procedures are good to review if your company has special ones. I find that sometimes the FO's who complain the most about briefing something actually don't know the procedure.

So you can be lazy, but you had better still know what's going on.

What about the Captains that interupt the FO's during their briefing and say "no questions". This is probably what led these FO's to being "lazy" and hesitating to brief thoroughly. I mean, I don't brief things that aren't necessary if its clear and a million outside, but come on, lets be professionals here and at least go over the basics of what we are going to do so that we are on the same page. Don't interupt me during my briefing...its rude, its condescending, and its unprofessional.

Last edited:
Go to FAA.gov and check out AC120-74A, Appendix 5. This is the recommended guidance to 121 carriers as to approach briefings.

BoDEAN said:
Only tip I would give, they like when you tell them what the highest obstacle is on the approach plate. Remember that BIG BLACK arrow? Point it out!

So that's what that arrow is for (j/k).

One other thing to mention for when you're in training or on the line, when doing an approach in actual conditions, while you're briefing the approach, memorize the DH. Especially if you're the non-flying pilot and it's your responsibility to call out 1,000 ft. above, 200 ft. above, etc. You don't wanna be halfway through the approach and start thinking, "what altitude am I supposed to call out again?"

Take your time and get familar with them. Then brief them the way you would the NOAA charts...same info just different company.

Good Luck.

SkyBoy1981 said:
What about the Captains that interupt the FO's during their briefing and say "no questions". This is probably what led these FO's to being "lazy" and hesitating to brief thoroughly. I mean, I don't brief things that aren't necessary if its clear and a million outside, but come on, lets be professionals here and at least go over the basics of what we are going to do so that we are on the same page. Don't interupt me during my briefing...its rude, its condescending, and its unprofessional.

You are probably correct. Many of the bad habits FO's get, if not all, are from captains that are "too cool" to just do it the right way.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back