• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Applying to the Majors and accident/enforcement history

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Too little information posted, especially time and time line.

Crashed a 207 flying bush, under what rules; severity (deaths?/hull loss?), how much total time, and how much were you at fault vs mechanical failure/weather. Explain.

Enforcement action: related to above? Or totally separate? Time between if separate. Total time at time of occurrence? Severity. Did you buzz the senators picnic to impress his daughter or say "hey, watch this!" and do something REALLY asinine or forget to chock the aircraft and it rolled into the hanger wall?

Total time since screwing up? And have you TRULY "come to Jesus" in your approach to your career ?

Just like AA, you have to fess up, explain yourself, own up to your mistakes without blaming others. If you can't do it to your peers(?) on this board, how will you handle it in an interview, both explaining it to the paper shuffling babe in HR so she can understand it and later to the professional pilots on the review board that can decide your fate

Good luck, don't give up. Even the guy on the review board has skeletons. Be honest and appeal to his better judgement.

Yes skeletons,

Well my career has been quite colorful. The accident was a part 91 flight. I made a bad decision and I take total responsibility. It could have been much worse and I'm committed to never letting this sort of situation happen again. It was only bent metal and not injuries. The aircraft was flying again in a month.

The enforcement action was a part 135 "failure to document aircraft discrepancies". I got caught flying with an open write up. I had reported to mx verbally but it was a intermittent problem and mx was having trouble sorting it out. I didn't write it in the discrepancy log and the fed who was line checking me didn't give me any indication he thought it was a problem until the end of the flight. I ended up with a 60 day license suspension and lost my job. A year after that I started flying in Asia and haven't looked back until now.

I've been out of the country for 5 years and flown 2000 hours - mostly turboprop - but some jet.

It looks like the major airlines are hiring again and my biggest question is should I even try? Do I need to put myself through the stress and expense of interviews if they will waste bin my application as soon as they see my FAA record?

Asked and answered man

Apply apply and network

I'd call an interview consultant and ask their opinion
Ie: emerald aviation-

Stress?

Stress is about how you handle the interview process. And if one's ready to be at a major they ought to know how to handle stress-

Apply like a professional, update on disciplined intervals -

No major will interview someone they have no intention of hiring-
So if you get one - INVEST in an interview prep- that's a big question not to prep on bigtime

Come on over to SKYW, as long as your Parole Officer will allow you to leave the state you are good to go.

Full confession time:

I had a accident in 2007. I had an enforcement action in 2008. They both show on my FAA records. I've been flying turboprops and regional jets outside of the US since I couldn't get another job after been fired from my job in 2008. Now I've been clean and very responsible for the past 5 years. I have learned the lessons I should have and applied them. I'm thinking about applying at a major. Will the FAA records torpedo my applications. I have not criminal, DUI, etc. problem.

Now I have 8000 hours and more than 1000 Jet.

What do you think?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Best Option would be to Consult with an Experienced Aviation Attorney via Skype. (Since you overseas)
Usually you can get 30 Mins free. Just make sure you rehearse/write down what you 'exactly' wanna ask.

Good Luck!

Yes skeletons,

Well my career has been quite colorful. The accident was a part 91 flight. I made a bad decision and I take total responsibility. It could have been much worse and I'm committed to never letting this sort of situation happen again. It was only bent metal and not injuries. The aircraft was flying again in a month.

The enforcement action was a part 135 "failure to document aircraft discrepancies". I got caught flying with an open write up. I had reported to mx verbally but it was a intermittent problem and mx was having trouble sorting it out. I didn't write it in the discrepancy log and the fed who was line checking me didn't give me any indication he thought it was a problem until the end of the flight. I ended up with a 60 day license suspension and lost my job. A year after that I started flying in Asia and haven't looked back until now.

I've been out of the country for 5 years and flown 2000 hours - mostly turboprop - but some jet.

It looks like the major airlines are hiring again and my biggest question is should I even try? Do I need to put myself through the stress and expense of interviews if they will waste bin my application as soon as they see my FAA record?

Sounds like small beans to me, especially with 5 years distance living the clean life.

You will fess up to this on the application form; if you get to an interview they have already pretty much decided that this is not disqualifying and with proper explanations you move on in the process.

Worst they can say is no.

Postage can be a big expense; Get a pile of Forever Stamps before they go up in price the 26th and save 7%.

I had some issues earlier in my career also. Just got hired onto an airline. Be truthful on app. and be able to explain in interview, because they will ask. Let them know you learned from it and moved on....Good luck..

Latest resources

Back