Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
acaTerry said:

acaTerry...

.....the businessman pilot who buys too much airplane to handle does it so he can get there wherever he's going faster. They push into conditions they shouldn't because they are more concerned with what's happening/missing at point B and a schedule than with using good judgement for the task at hand. Worldy concerns are driving them past their limitations. Safety of flight should be driving you..the pro pilot.. despite your wordly concerns.

.....All the accidents attributed to pilot error despite having great salaries are the ones I mean. Or perhaps it's just that you don't believe "pilot error" exists?

...You avoid the point about pax having a moral obligation to grasp your "issues", and deflect it in a response about seatbelts instead. Given your original distainful comments, I guess you truly believe that they DO have the obligation to make your profession their life's study. That sounds pretty egomaniacal to me.

...well I don't know about your fractional gig, but those "tightwad pax" at the regionals writing letters about pilot salaries because they are held in rapt attention during your negotiations? Please. Are saying they take valuable time off from watching Springer reruns to sit down and write "don't pay the pilots because I'm going to disneyland next year!". Sorry, I'm more inclined to believe they write letters regarding either crappy or sometimes good service.

... I don't know about the fracs but in my experience flying charter, private VIP owners, corporate, airlines, VIP, and corporate again, I figured passengers were passengers cuz I was a pilot. It sounds like you're still at the "impressed" stage of flying people with a fair amount of disposable income. Well, respecting anyone doesn't automatically mean you disrespect the rest. Hey, I just remembered I ride in the back of airliners..does that make me s$$tscum in your book too?

...My hearing's fine, so perhaps the many passenger conversations you supposedly overhear that feature you and pilots as the stars are really just the voices in your head switched to "Wishful Thinking" mode.

..I'm sorry you didn't get the connection and similarities between your rant about pilot salaries equating to stress and reduced safety with another profession where likewise lives are at stake yet stressful "issues" present for the professional, and the expectation you'd have for them to do their job and not kill you or your loved one. But if he did in some really flagrant way, how you'd not want to hear about their personal "issues" regarding blanket-stress issues like salary. You'd figure if he DID have them, knew about them, and couldnt function to a degree he mistook a liver for a spleen, he should've taken the day off.

...I said if you can't block it out while you're flying, quit. Especially if you're so emotional and can't block out something as general as an entire industry. As if this industry's changed so much...a big suprise. Like guys flying for regionals 15 years ago weren't grossing $900/month flying 19 seat crap and paying for training.

What if your fellow crewmember was also so stressed out about some pet peeve...say....CO2 emissions and the ice caps melting...that he couldn't put aside his personal worries until at least the time you shut down at the gate? We end up with a planeload of unwitting passengers flying along while one pilot is thinking about the indignity and unfairness he suffers because airlines are businesses instead of a Jobs Program for pilots like he believes they should be, while the other one who's helping to burn and blow all that jet fuel into the atmosphere can't even get concerned about his captain's money-rant because he's too busy thinking of how the world is doomed anyway. Yeah, that's pretty safe.

You may be right...if the passengers knew the state of those pilots' heads, they WOULD have to be morons to get onboard.

It doesnt matter what your stress-producer is. Just because it's stress produced by one's own industry doesn't make it "righteous" enough to carry with you on a flight. Like any other, if you can't find a way to block it for at least as long as a flight lasts, hang it up.

Last edited:
HoserASA said:
As a retired USAF controller, the tower controller should have been watching that plane. He should have checked the runway to insure it was clear, clear the aircraft for TO, and watch the plane's takeoff, day or night. The tower controller can determine whether the plane is on either runway too, day or night. Perhaps the tower controller had other duties, but I believe they could have waited while he watched this plane takeoff. No excuse. Along with the crew, the controller is another set of eyes that possibly could have caught this. At least that's the way it's supposed to be done. My opinion.

Hoser
ASA CRJ Capt

Though I agree with much of what you said, I don't think you can say "no excuse" to the controller not watching the plane takeoff.

As a former military controller you should know that there is much less margin for error in the military. And, as a former military pilot, I know civil aviation is much more challenging (regular ops I mean -- no war, no carrier, no formation, etc. -- all that is for another discussion).

As a current CRJ Capt., can you really put much blame on what was probably the sole communications guy at the airport. I've never been there, and yes I think things were screwed up with construction, up-to-date pubs, etc, etc. But, how many times have you been in the smaller airports and there is one controller, using only tower freq.? How many times have you been to them when you're the controller (CTAF). How many times have you been told asking for clearance, "I'll get to you in a minute, updating the ATIS". The blame needs to be held off for the investigation, the pilots are part of it, but there is obviously many, many links to the chain of errors in this one.

Now, will this change the way the FAA man's towers at the small airports, one can only hope. They probably need at least two people up there, just as in the cockpit so that there is always at least one person heads-up.

Unless he issued erroneous (unlikely) or confusing instructions to the crew with regards to which runway they were cleared to T/O from, I wouldn't blame this controller even partially.

Yes, a good "heads-up" by the controller at the right time could have turned this tragedy into a non-event. But that's not the same as contributing, unless this in itself is a failure of some job-described responsibility to do so if wx permits.

On any given day the weather could have been down, but above T/O mins, and 10 sets of "heads up" controller eyes in the cab wouldn't have made a difference. If low-vis conditions had existed on the accident morning, nobody would be leaning towards placing blame on the controller.

It still would have happened.

CatYaaak said:
Unless he issued erroneous (unlikely) or confusing instructions to the crew with regards to which runway they were cleared to T/O from, I wouldn't blame this controller even partially.

The controller could have very easily stated "CMR 5191, taxi to runway 22, are you familiar with the new taxi routing?" Considering that the routing was less than a week old, and visibility conditions were apparantly less than ideal, I don't think that would have been too much to ask.

Yeah I think the problem here is that quite a few of these people posting are not pilots. I think there is a bit of the airliners type people floating around here.

I think faced with a RTO decision in a nanosecond with fences and trees at the end that I probably would have tried to fly it out too. I wish some of you people would stop talking like you have never made a mistake. We ALL make them.

Due tot he chain of events this one unfortunately ended in tragedy.

Nindiri said:
It amazes me how some people here casually suggest that the crew should have just aborted and gone into the grass just like a highspeed abort is nothing more than a minor nuisance. The fact is, once they realized their error they had about a nanosecond to decide whether to abort with the definite result of multiple deaths, or try to get it airborne and clear the obstacles. Given their situation, the captain made what he thought was the best decision at the time.

Hey CatYaak,

I got pretty darn sick here. I have responses for you but you'll have to wait a few days to get them OK?

I'm not a good thread searcher so if this thread is a few pages back I'll just PM you if that works.

Terry,

The public doesn't care about pay scales and work rules. They have their own bucket full of worries ,everyone of them

To corellate safety with paying a premium, which can be compromised without causing death, is in error. to ask the public to pay more for what they already get is off base too.

That CRJ was a good airplane until someone drove it off into the cornfield. most people expext to die once they're up in the air not hurtling down the runway.

i've been an FO in a jetstream. Flew out of LEX all day long at CC Air. I was much more challenged flying out of EWR or ATL while taxiing than i ever was at LEX.

what happened to situational awareness. is being busy an excuse?

bottom line, i don't think i am convinced i should pay more in order to get there in one piece. what i do expect is for the crew up front to be on their toes and alert. i do admit that the chain of events as usual in arplane fatalities reared its ulgy head. if there is more than one of these or if something happens again then maybe at congressional hearings, everything you've mentioned will be on the table.

YourPilotFriend said:
I don't know if I quite agree with saying anyone coud make this mistake. To say a professional would make a mistake sure we all do, but this case is slightly different. This falls under the careless and wreckless operation of an aircraft category. (this is not meant to be flame bait merely stating an opinion) Not only did they recognize the signs that they were possibly on the wrong runway, they chose to ignore them according to the CVR. Lack of proper interpretation of airport signs, impropery identifing runway markings, omission or misinterpretation of flight instruments, not having the chart out for taxi or not reading it correctly, believing in gut feeling over that of the flight instruments....the list goes on and on. I'm not a perfect pilot and I make mistakes all the time, and I think 100% of you out there could have made the mistake of taking the wrong runway. However, to not recognize that mistake immediately I don't know.....
there are MANY instances of "careless and wreckless"...410dude, American LIT, America west drunks, airtran drunks, asa drunks, delta drunks, blah, blah....but this was NOT careless or wreckless. This was a "chain" of mistakes that ANY ONE OF US COULD MAKE. Lets let this be a wakeup call to the rest of us and be a little more vigilant.

BSkin said:
Though I agree with much of what you said, I don't think you can say "no excuse" to the controller not watching the plane takeoff.

Now, will this change the way the FAA man's towers at the small airports, one can only hope. They probably need at least two people up there, just as in the cockpit so that there is always at least one person heads-up.

There is a reason that control towers have large windows that provide a 360 degree view. There are many links in this incident that contributed to the crash, and the tower controller not watching the CRJ, at least to insure the CRJ was on the correct runway, will be mentioned by the NTSB. They may not fault him, but they will fault the FAA for not having two controllers on duty. There will be many parties cited in this incident.

Hoser
ASA CRJ Capt
Retired USAF ATC

CatYaaak is right

Originally Posted by CatYaaak
You know what Terry?....that stuff you're talking about?....a professional pilot will block it out. While they're flying.

CatYaaak is 100% right. Being a professional means you do your job to the best of your ability and worry about your other problems later. Being a professional means you take pride in your work no matter what you're getting paid. If you don't like what they are offering, then don't agree to do the duty. The marketplace dictates what a pilot (or any other professional) gets paid. That is capitalism, like it or not.

I've been through contract negotiations, a strike, and years of reserve. I've flown for lousy pay and worked for hostile management. I never once let that be an excuse to cut corners, make poor decisions or generally give less of $#!+ than I would if I were making "the big money".

If you are not happy with your lot in life, do something to change it. If you bring this stuff with you into the flight deck, you are not a professional and probably ought to reevaluate your priorities.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back