• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APC pay Spirit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to compare total contracts.

The spirit contract is about a balance of workrules and pay and over the 5 year contract the pay goes up quickly. It is hard to compare current contracts because of all the workrule protections unique to Spirit that you don't find at many other airlines. These workrule protections allow our lower payrates to become higher paychecks when you compare them to airlines with pref bidding.

- we get a minimum of 4 days off between trips
- we kept our scope protections (unlike Delta)
- trip drops or scheduling changes almost always results in more credit or 100% pay protection.
- junior assignment is 200% and voluntary only
- trips that conflict in transition get dropped pay protected
- trips that touch training get dropped pay protected
- trips that touch vacation get dropped pay protected
- Reserves can't be released early into rest
- We have always fought against pref bidding because it will cause us to lose the above items.

Last month under the new contract I had 84.28 block / 117.17 credit / 14 days off. It should have been 117.17 credit with 16 days off but the company is trying to get out of some language in the contract and we have arbitration scheduled for early October.

If we were offered the Spirit contract or the Delta contract, I think you would find the majority of Spirit pilots would vote for the Spirit contract.

Pref bidding is almost a 4 letter word at our company.

the company is trying to get out of some language in the contract and we have arbitration scheduled for early October.

I should elaborate

The contract language says that we can only work 6 days in a row and anything in excess of 6 gets dropped pay protected. So if I bid schedules that work the last 6 days of one month and the first 6 days of the next month....that puts me at 12 days in a row. That happened to me last month.

According to the contract, the company has to drop 6 days pay protected to reduce you to no more than 6 days in a row. They aren't allowed to drop days in the middle (only the ends of the 12 day period). The company is trying to figure out how to get out of that language because it killed their staffing formulas.

If we were offered the Spirit contract or the Delta contract, I think you would find the majority of Spirit pilots would vote for the Spirit contract.

Pref bidding is almost a 4 letter word at our company.

As it should be. I can tell you first hand that you guys did pretty darn well in just keeping PBS off your property.

You shouldn't be angry, you got what they promised, pay parody:)

Exactly...finally somebody gets it.

For those less enlightened...

PARITY = the quality or state of being equal or equivalent
PARODY = a feeble or ridiculous imitation

- we get a minimum of 4 days off between trips
Yup...but we work 6 days in a row nearly 100% of the time

- we kept our scope protections (unlike Delta)
Our scope sucks, it can still be used against us

- trip drops or scheduling changes almost always results in more credit or 100% pay protection.
If you drop a trip, you don't get paid for it...if the company cancels you get paid

- junior assignment is 200% and voluntary only
this is true...they gave away 150% for picking up open time or even making your days better
- trips that conflict in transition get dropped pay protected
That has not happened yet, the company changed the transition rules and are not doing this now, many folks were still stuck with the 1 or 2 day off blocks in the middle of 12 on

- trips that touch training get dropped pay protected
Except for how they can assign trips on those days...like a 4 day that touches one day of training you will still work 3 days right up to 3 days of recurrent

- trips that touch vacation get dropped pay protected
In theory, that is how it will work...unless they change the vacation rules.

- Reserves can't be released early into rest
Except they can, but have to have 10 hours of rest, and then can only be shifted 2 more hours forward...it is only when they move a RAP back, you will have more than 24 hours off.

- We have always fought against pref bidding because it will cause us to lose the above items.
Except for the good negotiators, they had vendors, and were doing trial bidding with the negotiators and the crew plan

Last month under the new contract I had 84.28 block / 117.17 credit / 14 days off. It should have been 117.17 credit with 16 days off but the company is trying to get out of some language in the contract and we have arbitration scheduled for early October.

Since the scheduling rules of the new CBA went into effect on September 1 your August pay result is not of importance, they new CBA pay was effective August 1 (and for some unexplained reason we didn't even get retro from the time we returned to work until some voted in the new CBA).

As far as the transition is concerned, the company has their finger in your ass but you still seem to be on their side...they took two days from you and you still, for some reason, are on their side...I just don't get it.

76% have never been so wrong.

and what about the guys/gals on furlough?

I think we have right around 50 or so on furlough or voluntary furlough...this does not include the people who are still on the seniority list but are off fling in other parts of the world, or at American.

And the 150% for open time pick ups is something I have never done...I am just pointing out they gave it away in exchange for nothing. The 150% also applies to, or used to, apply to making you days better...which I did if I could. For example, if you dropped a 4:00 hour turn for a 6:00 hour tune you got the 150% on the 2:00 extra hours, so you got 9:00 hours of credit for 6:00 hours of block, but that was only if you improved the day.

The rumor is, recalls this fall/winter, but who knows.

Latest resources

Back